Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
Loved to experiment and shoot a variety of guns.
6,252 Posts
I had a Weaver pivot mount or the "flip off" on my 270 bolt for years. Never used it flipped off and changed over to a more solid mount. It did hold its zero but there was a chance that it may not be locked down in which I might miss with it. See through mounts offer the worst of both worlds as the mount interferes with the view of iron sights and the scope is too high as some mentioned. As I have shot deer within feet with a scope in the Northern Mn woods I either use straight peep sights and no scope or a scoped rifle with solid mounts. Mostly prefer the scope. The comment about 3-9 V has been made. A 30-30, 32special or 35 does not have the range for a 3-9 V but because they are popular and tend to be the least expensive they are commonly used. A good scope in the 1.5-4.5 or possibly a 2-7 are far better and eliminate the need for a see through. If the scope goes out of whack leave the irons on the rifle and take off the scope.

DEP

· Registered
8,469 Posts
I got a set of See-Thru sights that was mounted on a 45-70 I bought at an Estate Auction. I had never used a scope before so I thought that they would save me some money by not needing to buy a scope mount. Then everyone I spoke too that uses a scope told me to get rid of them, they're useless. After mentioning that mount on this Forum, I thought I was in a echo chamber, I got the same advice. Needless to say, I won't be using the See-Thru mount!

Cheeers!

Mike T.

Reactions: unclesarge58

· Premium Member
22,111 Posts
I have used them back in the 70s. Not since then. Yes I was the one who said you can carry your rifle like a dinner bucket with them on.

Myself if you can shoot well with them you have a jaw like John Kerry.

For me to tilt my head back that far to use them, I would be looking through my scope with my bifocals.

Every gun I have with iron sights and a scope get the irons sighted in first. Then the scope.

After that the only reason the irons are there is if that scope got damaged.

I have yet to go on a hunting trip without two guns so it's moot to have back up sights except for that very rare occasion.

We have found good uses for them iron sighters that fit on a Marlin because the top of the gun is flat and so are the surfaces of a barn door. ;)

· Registered
1,379 Posts
Bought my 1st and only set of See Thrus in 1977. Sold the rifle WITH the See Thrus and I still regret selling the rifle but not those STs. It's a good concept I guess but I have shot deer at very close range with my 3-9 and so don't see any advantage to STs. My FIL had a set of the Weaver Flip-overs that worked but I never saw him use them. Once you get used to throwing a scoped rifle up "on target" you certainly don't need the STs.

What amazes me is how many lever rifles I see for sale with them.

Not dis'ing those that like them but just can't see the need.

Mop

· Premium Member
12,458 Posts
You guys don't get it yet!..................:vollkommenauf:

See-Thru mounts were invented in the mid 70's, and were the pre-cursor to all new Tacti-Cool stuff that you can buy now to bolt on to your AR Fore Arm!.......They are totally useless, serve no purpose other than to proclaim you and your rifle are ready all possible situations!.......:hmmmm::shot:

The Gun Techs at Marlin North Haven used to screw see-thru mounts to the sides of their benches to hold tools and cleaning rods!...........:vollkommenauf:

I've never owned a pair of see-thru mounts, but then I've never had sneakers with blinking lights in the heels, either............mine was a sheltered childhood........:shot:

Tom

· Premium Member
22,111 Posts
1970 336RC 30-30 converted from pistol grip to straight. Iron sights are sighted to a paper plate at 100 yds using the same hand load as the scope is zeroed in at.

2.5X Simmons shotgun scope, Leupold weaver style mount long enough so you can mount it far enough forward to eliminate the need for a hammer spur because of the extended eye relief of the shotgun scope.

This combination allows you to bring the gun up very fast, keep both eyes open track even the fastest running deer, instantly focused parallax problems are non existent.

The last deer I shot with this gun was at over 300 yds, but with the low power 2.5X a ten yard shot would be a very easy thing to do.

No need for an iron sight mount ever.

To duplicate this setup now days I would buy a Leupold shotgun scope and the longer Leupold mount I have on the gun in the picture.

When I bought the scope Wal Mart was having a close out sale on them and they were Japanese made not Communist China made with inferior optics.

Attachments

· Registered
3,604 Posts
Used a Valmet 412 308/12 gauge as a deer drive gun for awhile. At first when scoped (1.5X5), was not always lining up on time for snap brush shots. Took the scope off, made the shots, with both the buck barrel and rifle barrel. For me anyways, snap shooting inside twenty yards or so, open sights indexing off the front blade or bead (shotgun) is more efficient than a scope.

· Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I have a Set of See Thru Rings that I will Happily Give Away.
Pay 4 the Postage & they're Yours. Hate those Things.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: Mop and oleroy

· Registered
112 Posts
So, we need a little motor attached to the scope- elevator- push a button the scope rises a couple inches.

· Registered
11,585 Posts
I have a Set of See Thru Rings that I will Happily Give Away.
Pay 4 the Postage & they're Yours. Hate those Things.
UncleSarge58
Haaay unclesarge, get a wooden dowel & use the see-thru rings to make a handy-dandy towel rack!!:biggrin:

· Premium Member
1,401 Posts
oleroy,
GEE Never Thought of that.
Might just make a Kool Handle for my GunSafe Door.
US58

Reactions: oleroy

· Registered
20,689 Posts
For myself see-throughs are an 'Ingenious Solution to a Nonexistent Problem'. With coin slotted screws or quick detach levers on the rings you can quickly remove a problematic scope. AC
As the Deer runs by at 25 MPH. Learn to shoot different weapons for different purposes, then we will discuss see-thrus.

Reactions: oleroy

· Registered
8,413 Posts
I do not use see thrus but, they were all the rage back in the 70's.

See thrus might look really high, but lets consider a conventional mount.

First you have a base with the rings on top.

With see thrus there is NO base just rings.

See thrus depending on the style might only sit about 1/2" higher than a conventional mount!

Put some medium or high rings on your base and your in the same boat as the see thrus.

If you have a scope with a large objective it could be tough to use the irons!

· Registered
4,368 Posts
A See Thru mount seems to be about an inch higher than my Leupold QRW low rings.
You should always run the lowest rings that you can comfortably use.
The closer to the bore the more accurate the gun will be.

· Premium Member
323 Posts
Well well well. Some of you guys are hilarious ! Does anyone care about my scope set-up? I don't care about yours, either. What works for your hunting style is fine with me. Now, on my .35 deer killer, I have see thrus. They are there because in my wood lots here in the Midwest, most of the deer are on the move when you see one. Maybe at 10 yards or 50. The ST's are a blessing to me. When my target deer is standing at 150 yards, I use the scope. And, I've never used ST's "in case the scope went bad". Some of you think I'll need to stretch my neck a foot to use the scope! I usually only need one shot, boys. I think I could hit my deer from several weird positions if that was needed. On my Ruger .204 varmint rifle, the scope is as low as it can go. I hope no one starts the thread- Boxers or Briefs!

· Banned
1,758 Posts
Well well well. Some of you guys are hilarious ! Does anyone care about my scope set-up? I don't care about yours, either. I hope no one starts the thread- Boxers or Briefs!
Wait are those boxers .35 Rem or 30-30? :biggrin:

Brocky

· Registered
395 Posts
having owned a gun store in the state with a million hunters, I seen them see thru's on so many guns it crazy
back when they were popular, it was due to so many folks having isue;s with scopes
from ascope failing, to more common, a scope being foggy and or filled with snow and rain, and folks wanted to be able to shoot no matter what
they were MOST common on guns that held lots of rounds too, so they could chase an animal down with lots of lead in the air
I don't know if anyone remember the the oppsiste of these, they had for yrs made mounts that had open sights on top of the scope, made by Millett I think, I know I have a set some place in a box for a rem 700 action LOL

But they were rather useless and never took off like the see thru's did?? not sure why, to me they were a better idea ALMOST!, the such short sight radius I guess was there down fall
but I do recall shooting rather well with one set, yrs back, just to see if they worked or not on a used gun I ws taking home(removed right afterwards LOl)

But in todays world of scopes being made a LOT better, and good easy fast opening scope caps, see thru's are not needed in my eye's
its like NOT having any faith in your scope

21 - 40 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.