Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,368 Posts
I saw a Marlin 1894 44 mag at the LGS yesterday and it had a set of see thru's on it.
It was great for seeing the irons but I had to rubberneck to see where the scope would
be if one had been mounted.
No way would I want that kind of clumsy setup on any of my guns.
When was the last time anyone had a scope fail in the field and said
"Thank God" I have see thru rings? I'm guessing never.
If you have quick release rings you could just unscrew your broken
scope and use the irons normally.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
A See Thru mount seems to be about an inch higher than my Leupold QRW low rings.
You should always run the lowest rings that you can comfortably use.
The closer to the bore the more accurate the gun will be.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Actually even some pretty expensive scopes had problems when you go back into the 1970's.
The time for see thru scope rings has long past because the reason we had them was we had
poor quality scopes. Nowadays scopes are generally very high quality and the addition of quick
release mounts means if your scope does get broken you can have it off the gun in
30 seconds.

Reactions: Mop

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Which ones are the scope and which ones are the see thru irons?

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Nice shooting, but I still maintain that see thru sights have outlived their purpose.
If people want to buy them, it's their money.
I'm not saying people can't hit anything with them. Just that the reason they exist
was because early scopes were mostly junk and unreliable.
So you needed a see thru mount when hunting because of fogging and other
failures.

Nowadays that's pretty rare with a decent scope and see thrus are generally speaking
not needed because most people have quick release rings and off come Mr. Scope in
a few seconds.

Glad you shoot yours well, but you couldn't pay me to put them on any gun I own.

Reactions: gb_in_tx
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.