Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I've been shooting and hunting for some time. For the life of me I don't understand the "see through" scope mounts. Yes, yes, yes, I understand the physics and reasons but I question the logic and want your thoughts. Why would you mount a scope that high off the butt that your natural cheek weld is altered? I've never found myself in a situation where if I couldn't safely use the scope I could have safely used the iron sights. Moreover....I can't imagine the unnatural position of my head and cheek on the rifle?

Sooo...what am I missing here.

Regards all,
M

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
The scope mounts are made for people who don't know what a cheek weld is. To use them you might get a "chin weld" or your head might be completely off the stock. When you hear a gun fire, then fire again, again, again till it empties I always think it's a thudy thudy with a 3-9 scope and one of these sets of rings.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
You understand the issue correctly.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
See-through mounts were invented for people who like to walk in the woods with a rifle, but don't like killing animals. A co-worker has a set on his 30-30 ( and a 3-9 scope with wooden lenses) and he always complains that he has yet to hit anything other than dirt with it. He leaves the 30-30 at home in favor of his non-see-through equipped .270 because he wants to get a deer or a pig every once in a while. (But he won't hear anything negative about his see-throughs, however...) When I see him show up with that 30-30 I always tell him "Take those ridiculous things off!"

take those ridiculous things off..JPG

*See-through mounts are PETA approved.

·
Super Moderator
25,174 Posts
Friends, I've been shooting and hunting for some time. For the life of me I don't understand the "see through" scope mounts. Yes, yes, yes, I understand the physics and reasons but I question the logic and want your thoughts. Why would you mount a scope that high off the butt that your natural cheek weld is altered? I've never found myself in a situation where if I couldn't safely use the scope I could have safely used the iron sights. Moreover....I can't imagine the unnatural position of my head and cheek on the rifle?

Regards all,
M
Nothing! I am in total agreement here. Some people like using the see-thru mounts to use their irons. This will cause them to alter their "natural" cheek to stock weld when using the higher positioned scope. My son likes his Marlins set-up with the see-thrus--I have tried to convince him otherwise--but no dice so far. :vollkommenauf:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I think they sell because people think scopes can go bad and the iron sights are a backup. Scopes are better n ow and I think the see through mounts create more problems. If you grow up with them you will be fine, but its hard to use them if you're used to normal height rings. I found this out the hard way on some high ringed guns...

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
I used see thrus for a long time. Been in situations where I had to take a shot that was around 50 feet and used the irons and on the same hunting trip I had to use the scope at a buck that was 150 yds. I have never had a problem with 1 shot one kill in my entire time I used see thrus. My eyesight well I cannot see a target that is over 25 yds in the clear with iron sights so that is why I use the scope. Now since I do a lot of hunting in east Texas I retired my see thrus for quick disconnects because I either in heavy brush or along a game trail in a stand. So to all y'all that want to bad month us guys that has see thrus then go right a head. Because when I hunt what ever rounds I shoot is what is going in the freezer. And I aint bragging but I never miss what I aim at no matter thru the see thrus or scope. 1 shot 1 kill is something I done since my dad taught me to shoot.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Scopes on levers are for folks that cant hunt nakid!

and see-thru mounts are so stupid from a angle view, they musta been invented by a lawyer

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
DSCF2117.JPG 34 years on this old girl and she don't miss very often.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I used see thru's on my leverguns and never had a problem connecting where I was aiming. They are not perfect but if you are use to shooting an A-5 Browning it kinda comes natural with a heads up off the cheek weld display. If I were to rescope another levergun I would go for a mount like Game Reaper or Leupold,now because I shake so bad. I have bear down with a cheek weld hold to get steady. LOL SHAKEIEST GUN IN THE EAST. I never used the see thru feature. It just felt more natural with my head up on a moving deer.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

Regards all,
M
I totally agree with you! They are very popular here in the south because they're CHEAP and a separate mount base is not needed. I personally can't stand em!

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
Heh.

I'm not saying you can't shoot well with 'em...

Just that most people don't shoot as well.

And besides, they're real ugly! :biggrin:

Brocky

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm still trying to get the ludicrous things off mine.. But one screw in each refuses to budge.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I saw a Marlin 1894 44 mag at the LGS yesterday and it had a set of see thru's on it.
It was great for seeing the irons but I had to rubberneck to see where the scope would
be if one had been mounted.
No way would I want that kind of clumsy setup on any of my guns.
When was the last time anyone had a scope fail in the field and said
"Thank God" I have see thru rings? I'm guessing never.
If you have quick release rings you could just unscrew your broken
scope and use the irons normally.

·
Premium Member
24,627 Posts
I've said it before, and I'm gonna keep sayin' it...
THEY'RE JUNK!
They are a belt and suspenders approach to something
that otherwise would be simple.
If a man don't trust his scope to function properly in low
light or on a foggy morning, his scope is probly junk.
If a man don't trust his belt to hold his pants up he's
probly anal and also has see thru scope mounts on
his gun too.
See Thru is a good concept on some things...I saw a
girl in a T shirt on top of a bar in Waco once...it was
nice. But on my guns, I keep my scopes down low,
close to the barrel where they ought to be.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Another related blast from the past, was the Weaver pivot (flip over) set up, which are no longer made. Recently picked up a 1950's rifle with a set of these with very low rings. Sometimes found on older Savage 99 with low rings, apperently people back in the day felt it also eased access to rotary magazine (or any top loaded mag for that matter). Holds its zero when flipped around, kinda neat actually.

Reactions: Pereira

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Friend of mine has a older remmie pump rifle with the flip over mount on them, they do return to zero and lock up tight. Kind of unique in a way.

My texan has see thru's on it. They are different but definently doable IMO. They don't really bother me at all and I'm fairly indifferent about them. I'll not be hunting very much longer anyway so doubt I'll change them.

Carried an M-16A1 for awhile, what were the sight's, an inch, inch and a half or somewhere above the bore?

I can't remember if it was PapaJohn or Swany that said some time back that they make a great carrying handle. ( kinda like that M-16).......

One of those "just because it's different, don't mean it's wrong" kind of a thing.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
To me it's just an option for mounting a scope. I have no use for them so i opt out. :) :) :). If you want an eyepiece mark on your forehead, see through mounts are a very good option to get one. Guess how i found out.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts