Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

As you may have seen; I just bought a Model 36, built in 1940. Not drilled for sights, either on top or side.

Marlin 1936 2.jpg

It has NO sights, and no front ramp; just empty dovetails.

a) Am I right in thinking that, because it's the rifle version, it would have come with a semi-buckhorn rear, and a front ramp (dovetail-mounted, no screws) with a front insert (also dovetail)?

b) I don't want to drill & tap to mount optics. So my basic choices are; tang sights (Lyman / Marble's), stock open sights, or replacement open sights with fibre optic dots? Am I missing anything?

c) Rifle will be used for deer and range. What would you do, if it was you?

d) Does anyone have a parts gun with the front ramp and/or iron sights? Feel free to get in touch.

-Duncan

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Hello Duncan,

A good option would be our BARREL MOUNT aperture sight. We sell many many of these sights for rifles that are not receiver mount available. Customers report good success and accuracy with them. If you have a front sight dovetail in the barrel I would recommend our 3/8" x .500" front sight to go with it.

Hope that helps,

Andy
Marlin peep sights

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It probably had a brass bead front sight. It would have been dovetailed directly to the barrel. The rear sights were likely some type of semi-buckhorn rear.

It should be fairly easy to find replacements. Marble Arms and Williams would be good starting points. Brownell's probably have some as well as original equipment.

As far as other options, Skinner offers post front sights that you might like. He also has an aperture sight of sorts that will fit the rear dovetail. He is a site sponsor and I'm sure he'd work with you to get what you want.

Williams makes a Firesight set with a yellow pipe in the rear and a red pipe in the front. I have a set on my 1894 but haven't used them enough yet to form an opinion. I will say that with fiber optics there are a lot of times that they don't seem to light up for me. In that case, these Williams sights act like a set of Patridge sights, which I have no problems in using.

A word of caution: make sure to have a small triangular file (I have a set of X-Acto hobby files) so that you can properly fit the sights to the existing dovetails. They often need to be trimmed down a bit as they are made slightly over-sized to ensure fit. Buying a new sight and just pounding it in "as if" it fit may not end well. Ask me how I know.

If the tang is already drilled and tapped for a tang sight, that's the way I'd go, personally. My second choice might be Skinner's rear barrel dovetail mount aperture sight. My third choice would be to break down and drill and tap for either a Skinner or Williams FP receiver sight. A Skinner post front sight would work for all of these.

·
Registered
801 Posts
What Andy said. If you are going to use the rifle for hunting I find it hard to beat the Skinner Sights. You get so much easier, for my 50 + year old eyes, sights and you can tailor the rear aperture to what will work for your eyes. You maintain the nice light handling character of the rifle. Whatever you choose to do good luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Skinner makes a barrel mount (dovetail) rear sight and ditto on dovetail front sights and later on if you find originals you won't have ruined the value with any drilled sight mounting holes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts