Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some back and forth (mostly from people who hunt deer in Indiana) about shortening the case length on a 45/70 cartridge (to fit the maximum brass length allowed by Indiana law).

Has anybody actually tried it? Is it safe? If so, any guidelines to watch for?

-- or should I just stick with my 1894 in 44 mag?

Thanks!

SeanT

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try switching out the Indiana state legislature. I think you will be much happier with the results versus cutting down the 45/70 cases.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Wikipedia said:
Neck diameter .480 in (12.2 mm)
Base diameter .505 in (12.8 mm)

The 45-70 has a slight taper to the case. I'd stick to pistol calibers instead of shortening a tapered case.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well .... they were going to let them go to 1.8 inches but then that didn't pass so I am still subject to a 1.6 inch limit -- thus I will stick with the pistol cartridge (44 mag in my 1894 - shoots pretty well anyway) during gun season.

Frodo said:
Try switching out the Indiana state legislature. I think you will be much happier with the results versus cutting down the 45/70 cases.
Ha! I live in Illinois so the guys in Indiana are (IMHO) rocket scientists in comparison!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I would think you will run into some crimping weirdness if you shorten a tapered case. You might also have a problem getting the case to go into the dies, I don't know. It'll be interesting to see if anyone can pull it off. Please keep us posted.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
I love it when someone figures a way to get around some dumbass gun law. ;D
When California banned .50 bmg rifles, Barret gave them the one finger salute, and designed the .416 Barret. ;D
I think your idea would work. People think the .45-70 is a tapered cartridge. Actually it tapers from the base to a cylindrical section surrounding the base of the bullet. A lot would depend on your sizing die and expander die. But, accuracy may be questionable due to bullet jump.
First, you should cut the case to slightly less than 1.6". 1.580" would be short enough so there are no misunderstandings with the law.
I measured one of my loaded 45-70's. At 1.4" from the base the cylindrical portion starts so you would have about .2" of cylindrical case to support the bullet.
A. You could seat the bullet to the normal depth. This would decrease your case capacity so you may not have enough powder space to produce a practical velocity. Also bullet jump would be at the maximum.
B. You could seat the bullet so only 1/4" is in the case. This increases powder capacity and reduces bullet jump.
C. Use a 'heel' bullet. Use a gas check bullet like RD's without the gas check. Seat the portion of the bullet that the gas check fits on into the case and crimp. The cartridge will look line a .22RF with all of the bullet lube outside the case.
Crimping would be a problem. You could shorten an extra 45-70 seating/crimp die. Or you could modify a Lee FCD.
I shoot a trapdoor Springfield, otherwise I would try this just to see if it could be done.
M.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
I would just go out and buy a new 1894 in .45 or .357 and get it over with, reserve the full power 45-70 for the dipsticks who made the law. ;D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Swany, I will stick with my 1894.

Actually, believe it or not, Indiana used to be shotgun/slug only and now they allow rifles with pistol cartridges (within certain size parameters) so this is actually big progress.

Baby steps ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts