Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like there is enough room, but I thought I had better ask before ordering one...................

1st question: is there sufficient room left on the receiver (after installing the Tactical winged rear peep) to install an XS Lever Rail?

2nd question: I REALLY like the sourdough front sight. Having no idea what height I might need for my load, I have decided to order a brass front sight I can file down.
Here's the question: Can I cold blue the brass (except for the little sourdough style patch)? Or would I be better off painting it with Brownells Aluma Hyde then lightly filing off the area I want to expose the brass on?

·
Vendor
1,946 Posts
Hmmmmmmm..... No idea on the XS Rail. I looked at the product photos and it looks like the XS Rail uses the rear two sight mounting holes on the receiver. The Skinner Tactical sight utilizes the rear two threaded holes on the top of the receiver and extends forward about 3/4" beyond them.

Blackening brass is a good idea (Marlin has been doing it for years on their front sights) and paint could work. The only part of the sight you will see while shooting is the rear face. On my own brass sights I use a black marker (sharpie) in the field to change the brass post into a black post.

Hope that helps,

ANDY

·
Registered
461 Posts
450 Sniper,

The XS Lever Rail does use the first two d/t'd holes on the receiver for the addition of their ghost ring sight into a milled pocket on the rail. You could use the scout scope mount for sure but I don't know if that would meet your specific needs.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I meant was the Scout Rail - sorry!
IIRC the scout rail uses just the two forward holes. It's been a few years since I put one on.
If the Tactical sight comes 3/4" forward of the rear two screws, it should be fine.

Andy - what is the best way to blacken brass? Cold blue? This is going on the 1894 LTD 45 Colt I just bought and I want it to look like it was made that way at the factory.

·
Registered
461 Posts
450 Sniper said:
That's what I meant was the Scout Rail - sorry!
IIRC the scout rail uses just the two forward holes. It's been a few years since I put one on.
If the Tactical sight comes 3/4" forward of the rear two screws, it should be fine.
Yep, you'll be good to go with the scout rail. ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
;D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.