Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn' t know quite where to put this post,but I'll start here.

Rifle. Marlin 94 1902 production.Bore is dark and pitted. Muzzle had rifling compeletly gone and I did a counterbored crown of about 1" . Some rifling there but not much

Will spray commercially loaded ( Winchester) 180- gr Semi jacketed over about a 6 x 10" area at 80 yards or so.

Initally had some 40 cal pistol bullets with no crimp cannelure in them,semi wadcutters. sized to .401.Measuring showed about .4005. Powder was 7 .1 gr of Universal Clays.Shot a little bit better ,but not much.

I then bought some 180 gr cast ,sized to .402 from Missouri Bullet ( Biggest I could find)and tested loads from 6.9 to 7. 3 of the same powder. 7-1 gave me groups of about 3" with 3 out of five and then two big fliers 7-9 inches out. I'll do more shooting with this when weather clears.

I then found some .419 round pure lead balls that I had and pushed one down the barrel from the muzzle all the way to the chamber . I measured it and it said the bore was .405. ( This was with a 4 place micrometer by Starret)

When shot,there is severe leading. By all standards that says I should need a .407 cast bullet, but I doubt that I could find any to begin with and if so,they probably would not chamber and I would also have to find an over sized expander plug.

I had one quote to rebore to a 44-40, but the smith would not guarantee it as he said the soft metal and rust might prevent a good final bore.
Religning to a 38-40 was a lot more expensive and outside of my financial capability.A new barrel was even more.

Thoughts, advice,reccomendations appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Why not get some .41 cal bullets for the .41 Magnum and size them to .407? Lee will make a custom sizing die for way less than what re-lining or rebarreling would cost. Or you could buy a .401 sizing die from lee and ream it out to .407 yourself.

I have a 1894 circa 1894 in 38/40 also. I am just starting to play with it as have just I got my brass, dies, mold, etc. all together now.

Wayne

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
The idea of resizing 41 Mag bullets down sounds like a good one to me.

My Lee custom sizing die in .428 run me about $25 ten years ago. It can't be that much more now.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can make the sizer myself. I already made one in.401. Question being can one set a .407 dia bullet in the thin neck wall of a 38-40 case,and if so will it be too big then to chamber?

Then I get into the question of an expander ball for the die.

I'm wallowing in ignorance here myself. ;D

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'm not that up on the 38-40 myself as I'm more into the 44-40 so take the following with a grain of salt.

I do know the 44-40 usually has a pretty tight neck area in the chamber. My 1894 will chamber a .429 bullet, but not a .430. With a .428 groove diameter, it doesn't give me much room to play with cast bullets. The more I think on it, the more I'm inclined to think that you might not get a bullet large enough to properly fit the bore to chamber in your 38-40. My Vaquero in 44-40 is that way as Ruger built them with a 44 Mag groove diameter instead of the smaller 44-40. It works okay with jacketed bullets, but cast are an adventure in leading the barrel.

At this point I'm thinking a rebore to 44-40 or a reline back to 38-40 might be your options unless you use jacketed bullets.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply, Jacketed bullets wobble down the barrel as they are so small compared to the bore dia.

Rebore is about $452 and no guarantee and relining is way up past that.Gets to be trade of as that is getitng close to a new gun and hang this one on the wall I need to shoot it some more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts