Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this rifle for a couple of years now and have never got great groups out of it,so I ordered some 250gr WFNGC BTB [email protected] .432 and 265GR @.4315.I decided to put a bullet in a fired case and close the action to see where it contacted the rifling,I then measured the length and it came out at 1.705.I had been loading all my loads at 1.600,is it ok to fire them at this oal because to crimp the bullet it is at the very top of the top lube groove.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
If you aren't hitting the rifling, then start loading the brass at the lowest level and start working your charge up. You should be fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mazer for the reply.The bullet is just touching the rifling you can barely see a mark on the bullet and it drops into the chamber and closes with no resistance.I cannot believe how far a bullet crimped in the crimp groove of a bullet has to travel to get to the rifling in this rifle, that could be the reason for the bad groups I have been getting all along.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Just touching should be fine, biggest concern would be if hitting the rifling pushed the bullet deeper into the brass and compacting the powder...that would be bad. No resistance = go shoot that puppy! Bet your groups are a lot better!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts