Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a box of Hornady Leverevolution ammo from a buddy of mine to function check them in my new 1895 22". They fed into the chamber with no issues. However, on a couple occasions I had rounds fail to leave the magazine tube and the bolt returned to an empty chamber. Thoughts on what caused this?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Might be the follower...many have replaced the standard with a replacement to help that issue...others haven't had to... course people with more info than me should be along shortly....
in the meantime... Any pics of the rifle? And since I don't remember seeing you around yet...Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
It seems most folks who like the gummy tips first experience the problem until they replace the follower. I have never used them in the 45-70 so never had the problem. try some other ammo and see if you have the same problem.

1,907 Posts
If your 1895 is new--as in freshly minted-- it should already have the correct follower for reliably feeding FTX bullets. Also, if it is new, it may well have some issues from the factory, such as internal machining burrs, that might prevent it from loading. More info might help, but you may have to have a 'smith take a look. Definitely try another ammo type. If a flat nose won't feed, then it's got problems.

AD

·
Registered
241 Posts
If your 1895 is new--as in freshly minted-- it should already have the correct follower for reliably feeding FTX bullets. Also, if it is new, it may well have some issues from the factory, such as internal machining burrs, that might prevent it from loading. More info might help, but you may have to have a 'smith take a look. Definitely try another ammo type. If a flat nose won't feed, then it's got problems.

AD
I agree. I cycled this ammo through my new 1895gbl several times without issue. Follower may be hanging up on a burr or there might be something in the mag tube.

1,907 Posts
I agree. I cycled this ammo through my new 1895gbl several times without issue. Follower may be hanging up on a burr or there might be something in the mag tube.
Good point on the mag tube. I have seen funk in them from the factory. Also seen a forend cap screw dimple the tube, which hangs up the follower. This would only have an effect if there were a few rounds in the tube.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't had the mag spring or follower out of the gun as of yet. It's a new 1895 and it has the red follower with the dimple. When I first bought it I cycled 15-20 hollow point rounds through it with ease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.