Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents:

I'm using a Lee loader for my .35 Rem and I'm not that happy with the crimping stage and results. Common problem is that the crimp doesn't hold or it tends to ripple or bulge - very slightly - at the groove. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong? Is it possible to get a good crimp with the Lee Loader? How about the Lee factory crimp die? Anyone use it with their Lee press? Thanks for the help.

GOOD SHOOTING! :) Range Finder

·
Registered
330 Posts
RF,
Haven't tried loading with one of Lee Loaders, I'm guessing here one of those little kits that operates with a mallet? What I have found usefull is the Lee hand held press, that with a Factory crimp die works great!
Cheers,
R*2

·
Registered
6 Posts
.35 rem lee loader info

I have had good luck with the lee loader in .30-30. Sometimes it helps to rotate the cartridge slightly while tapping. Tapping is the key, hard strikes will lop the crimp to one side. I am trying to locate a lee loader in .35 rem. any suggestions? I am in Canada.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the same problem. I got the crimp die and problem solved. It adds an extra step, but it does a good job and is well worth the time. You can adjust the die to crimp as hard and light as you want. You can adjust the crimp die to physically push the brass into a cast bullet if the cannalure is not where you want it (in effect, it creats a new cannalure and pushes the brass into it). This is great for 180 grain 357 hard cast bullets with large metplates. And best of all, it does not damage the shell case with the bumps or wrinkles.

In a regular dye, the shell is forced up against a funnel that bends the mouth into the cannalure. As you push harder to get more crimp, the brass is pushed backward against the funnel and wrinkles form. In a crimp dye, as the shell base hits the base of the crimp die, the inside sleeve is pushed up and the top of the crimp die clamps around the mouth of the shell. There is no downward force to wrinkle the shell. The harder you push, the harder the dye clamps around the mouth of the shell.

I have ordered a crimp dye for every rifle shell that I reload. Order one, you will not regret it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts