Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
It might not be a bad idea with power and vibrations that a 45-70 can produce but I did no loctite mine and it has not come loose yet. I have been thinking about going back and putting loctite on the screws though. I should mention that mine is an SBL and it came with the XS leverrail installed and it didn't appear to have loctite on it from the factory because I did have to take one of the screws out to get the holes to line up to install the ghost sight which was not pre-installed.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I did not Loc-Tite mine. No problems yet. I am going to go ahead and loc-tite this weekend. The 45-70 has a tendency to loosen up screws so I think it is a good idea.
Just my.02 worth,
Joe

·
Registered
21 Posts
You need to loctite screws or have some way of checking to see if they become loose. I have marked mine with paint so I can see if the screws have moved at all...

If you don't make some effort to check, you might find yourself with a loose mount during that once in a lifetime moment on a elk hunting trip. Cheap insurance. I have used nail polish on the top of heads on recessed screws to help hold them as well.

Good luck

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
I did a ( what I call ) "dry fit " on my Marlin, and when everything was in place, I took each screw out one at a time, and loctited each one in with the provided tube of Loctite. I used it sparingly. It is Loctite, not a glue.

Pete

·
Registered
262 Posts
Shooting the stout loads (350gr Hornady rn pushing 2.200fps) and using the gun for bear-medicine - I desided not to take chances, and used the Loctite.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I failed to use it and paid for it. My grouping all of a sudden went to heck. Ended up having to enlarge & tap... ARG! But now it works great. Thanks to the Loctight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
After losing a mount screw to stupidity many years ago, I have grown very fond of Locktite BLUE.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Joe in Fl said:
I did not Loc-Tite mine. No problems yet. I am going to go ahead and loc-tite this weekend. The 45-70 has a tendency to loosen up screws so I think it is a good idea.
Just my.02 worth,
Joe
And with loads like Happy nanoq's, Teeth as well! ;D Gotta love the 45-70.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts