Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Question for the Collective about the .44 vis a 30-30 ?

3K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  ziptar 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting another Marlin lever action but I am torn between getting a 1894 in .44 Mag or going with a 336 in .30-30? I would get it in SS.
I have a 1894 in .357 and I do own carbines in 9mm & .40S&W. As for rifles I have a 10/22, Mini-14 and a .308 bolt action.
I know that the right answer is GET BOTH, but I have to start with one first. :D

I sincerely would like your opinions.

Thanks,
Lateck,

#2 ·
To me a 30-30 is a hunting gun and the 44 would be just pure fun to load for :) I have a 357,30-30 and 45-70 so I don't need the 44...yet ;D

#4 ·
The .44 is a whole lot more than the .357. But since you already got a 1894 go for the .30-30.

Mark.

#5 ·
If you own any pistols in 44 mag, I would suggest the 44. Otherwise, what are you going to use it for, and where do you live? Will you reload or all factory ammo? :eek: DP

#6 ·
dpe.ahoy said:
If you own any pistols in 44 mag, I would suggest the 44. Otherwise, what are you going to use it for, and where do you live? Will you reload or all factory ammo? :eek: DP
Thank you, I did leave out a lot of info.
I do not own any .44 guns at this time. I live out in the Arizona Desert, I do not re-load.
I would love to say hunting as my goal but......It would be hunting paper Zombies and tin cans :( ;D (at this time).
I guess I could include the "Cool" factor... Would that be .44?

Thanks again.
Lateck,

#8 ·
308 is a little better fit for desert longer range stuff than 30-30 :) 44 probably cooler cal. Save your brass you will be reloading before you know it ;D

#10 ·
Lateck said:
Thank you, I did leave out a lot of info.
I do not own any .44 guns at this time. I live out in the Arizona Desert, I do not re-load.
I would love to say hunting as my goal but......It would be hunting paper Zombies and tin cans :( ;D (at this time).
I guess I could include the "Cool" factor... Would that be .44?

Thanks again.
Lateck,
The 1894 44 magnum would probably be your best bet for that purpose. Find some light 44 Special level lead bullet loading and the ammunition should be less expensive than the 30/30 as you will probably only find that with jacketed bullets.

In the desert washes and drainages the 44 will work fine for bunnies, javelina, coyotes and other misc. small game as well as deer. For long range cross canyon shots the 30/30 won't be much better and when punching paper or trash the 44 leaves a hole that is easier to see.

Also having the 1894 in 44 will be an excellent reason to add a revolver later. And save your brass as reloading is another aspect of the sport that you will find enjoyable tuning your loads to your gun and target.

#12 ·
A 1894 in 44 mag is fun to shoot and I really like the square bolt design. However, 30-30 is also fun to shoot and you can buy federal ammo that is less than $15 bucks a box of 20 at Walmart.

Since you already have a 1894 in .357 I think you need a rifle cartridge to pick up where the .357 leaves off. 30-30 is the cheapest way to go down that road and there are certainely plenty of them out there.

-Bob George

#13 ·
I own 2 1894s both in 357 and 1 336 and 1 30TK in 30-30, along with a bolt 30-30 and a singleshot 30-30. I don't own a 44 so I admit I am biased, so to be fair get 'em both. For sure save brass, even if you never reload, you can sell or trade it.

#14 ·
I'll just quote the old Thompson Center Contender ad for getting a 30-30 over a .44

"More energy at 100 yds than the .44 has at the muzzle"

That being said you can always buy a .44 later but I would definately get the 30-30 first.

#15 ·
I see it a little bit differently than you do, Swany. If you buy some premium (Buffalo Bore) 270 grain rounds, the energy for the 44 is greater than the 30-30 out to about 90 yards. After that range, the 30-30 reigns supreme. I admit that this isn't every day ammo but my conclusion is the same as yours: for one rifle, a 30-30 is a better choice.

#16 ·
I love 30/30s, but given the reason he wants it I think he might be better served with a 44, especially if he starts loading. For a hunting gun I'd pick the 30/30 every time, if I could only have one, but for goofing off with I'd pick the 1894.

#17 ·
I gotta side with Leverdude here. Cost of ammo at Wally World is within .04 of each other with the Winchester white box 44 mags coming out cheaper. Once ya start to reload, nothing is easier to learn on than a straight walled pistol case. Plus the 94 is about a pound lighter. DP

#19 ·
Leverdude said:
I love 30/30s, but given the reason he wants it I think he might be better served with a 44, especially if he starts loading. For a hunting gun I'd pick the 30/30 every time, if I could only have one, but for goofing off with I'd pick the 1894.
Although he does not have any .44 pistols, don't forget that the 1894's are a family and a family loves company! With the 1894 you can play with .357 mag/.38 specials, .44 mag/special and the .45 LC. Talk about variety. Besides all those pistol cartridges, get yourself a big S&W .460 and you can also shoot your .45 LC and the .454 Casull. I'm starting to get confused myself with all the bullet choices.

#20 ·
I would probably go with the 1894 but that is because I already have a 30-30, though it's not a Marlin.. :'( Even though its a Winchester it shoots very well. And an 1894 is on my list for guns to get next year..lol. ;D

#21 ·
I've had lever guns in 357 and 44 for almost 40 years. I got interested in 30/30 about 5 years ago...got a 336 Cowboy, a 336a with 24 inch barrel, and a pair of rough TEXANS I acquired cheap at a pawn shop.

The pistol calibers are easy and cheap to reload...I have DILLON 550B presses set up for both 357 and 44. I cast my own boolits, which makes any caliber a lot cheaper. I shoot pistols in 357 and 44 also.

Get the 44. A 30/30 isn't a target gun and you've got a 308 for long range. The 44 will do all your 357 does and with considerable more power in a similar package. I treat the lever guns in pistol calibers like a handgun..."a weapon of opportunity" that I have close to hand while doing other things. AND ammo is considerably cheaper for it also.

You do need to investigate reloading. The savings let you shoot a whole lot more.

#22 ·
me said:
To me a 30-30 is a hunting gun and the 44 would be just pure fun to load for :)
+2 for me... Have the 30-30, a Ruger SBH 44 Mag and BH 44 SPC. 30-30 is a hunter (+ cast bullet rifle fun and project). 44 Mag SBH can be a hunter, for a pistol challenge. SPC is hunting sidearm.

The 44 Mag rifle for me would be basically a fun toy to load cast for and plink. Could hunt w/ it, but probably wouldn't w/ the 30-30 and 35 Rem Marlins...

#23 ·
of course both IS THE answer. ;D .......... You have to get one first though. The 1894's are a lot of fun. I'd really like a 357. I might end up with another Rossi. Since you do have that .308 already I'd say get that 44mag first.... but definitely get a 336 someday. You will be completly satisfied especially if you have two 94's. Just my opinion, but I think the 336 is a much stronger, better rifle overall. I like em both very much.

#24 ·
Get the 1894, there are a lot available with the JM rollmark if you're patient and careful. Since you have the bolt action 308, you're covered for intermediate range hunting. Warning, you will next be looking for a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk to "go with" the 1894. ;)

#25 ·
drjjpdc said:
Although he does not have any .44 pistols, don't forget that the 1894's are a family and a family loves company! With the 1894 you can play with .357 mag/.38 specials, .44 mag/special and the .45 LC. Talk about variety. Besides all those pistol cartridges, get yourself a big S&W .460 and you can also shoot your .45 LC and the .454 Casull. I'm starting to get confused myself with all the bullet choices.
How could I forget, I'v got a 44 Redhawk to go with my 1894, a GP100 AND a Vaquero to go with my Rossi 357 (my 1894C isn't a 357 anymore) and both a single six & MK2 for my 39M. ;) But there's nothing wrong with toting a 30/30 with a 44 strapped on your hip either.

#26 ·
Thanks to all;
Your replys are very helpful. I will go the .44 mag (first).
And I will look into reloading as that seams to be the most popular statement! :)
From a very smart group!

Athanasor said:
Get the 1894, there are a lot available with the JM rollmark if you're patient and careful. Since you have the bolt action 308, you're covered for intermediate range hunting. Warning, you will next be looking for a Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk to "go with" the 1894. ;)
Athanasor; your RIGHT! That is one Ruger I do not have........yet ;D :eek: ;) (and I have 10 of them)

Lateck,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.