Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.... can the 336 ss in a 45-70 be used in comp. or is not considered a cowboy gun?

2.... and also the 336 in 35 remington

i'm realy new @ this and would like to join.

i'm also in hope of not having to get a new arsinal.
any info would be helpfull.

dog man

·
Registered
335 Posts
The SS would be legal for side matches( Long Range) as long as it's not ported and has no scope mounted, in caliber 30-30. The .35 Rem is not a legal caliber for Cowboy Action.
The rounds have to be lead, no jackets, although for long range you can use gas checks.
Here's the URL for SASS's Home Page, you can find the rules concerning legal guns and calibers here.......www.sassnet.com
Sorry, missed the caliber on first read, 45-70 is a legal caliber for long range side matches as well. Again, lead bullets only, but you can have gas checks.....Buck 8)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the info. i have the web site addy, it just was not clear to me on what legal and whats not for side matches.

so then is the 35 rem. concidered to modern of a round or can that be used for side matches.

and does the 45-70 have to be a cowboy gun???
or can it be any of the bigbore lever actions??

thanks in advance.
dog man

·
Registered
335 Posts
Any of the big bore levers in approved calibers, no scopes, iron sights or tang sights only. .35 Rem is too modern. Let's see, just off the top of my head, long range calibers.....32-40, 38-55, 38-56, the Win. '76 calibers( can't remember them exactly), 40-65, any of the original Sharps calibers, 45-70, 50-70, 50-90, the 30-30,too. My LRR's are in 38-55( Marlin 1893), and 45-70( Wesson&Harrington Buffalo Classic).........Buck 8) :wink:

·
Registered
335 Posts
You're probably correct, CS. I'm not familiar with that round.
Thought of a few more in the .45's, 45-90, 45-110, 45-120........Buck 8) :wink:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Of the large rife calibers currently offered in Marlins 35Rem. and 444Marlin are not allowed. Reason being the 35 is to newer (1908), and the 444 dose not resemble any original lever gun cartrages (at least according to the goveners) . Also the rifles do not have to be cowboy style i.e. octigon barrels. There are restrictions tho. No recever mounted sights, no optics moden or otherwise, no compensators, wood stocks are required, as are lead bullets. You can use cas checks, tang mounted sights, and spirit levels. Personally I have found the longer and heaver the barrel the better. More sight radi, and more stability on the cross sticks. These are the rules for a SASS sactiond match, local monthly matches may have slight variations according to the match director. One more thing, there are other non SASS long range matches out there using cowboy style guns with different rules.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts