Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to look ahead to our next pistol cartridge silhouette match. I have been using a 1908 vintage Winchester 1892 in .25-20. My question is this, if I wanted to put a Marbles tang sight on this rifle, will I need to drill a hole to mount it. There are 2 screws already in the tang of my rifle. A little headed screw up by the hammer and a larger headed screw about 2 1/4" back. I seem to remember you saying that you had a 1892 Win. and was hoping you would know the answer to this. Hopefully the Marbles sight comes set up to use these two screws that are already there.

Is there any thing else pertinent to mounting a tang sight that I will need to know?

Thanks again,

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
No holes necessary. The Winchesters use a tang mount that incorporates the large tang screw in the rear, and a small screw for the hole in front. The sights came with a longer replacement tang screw, with a smaller head to fit the sight base. So if you find a used sight, make sure it has the longer tang screw.
Jeff's Outfitters sells a vernier type tang sight to fit the Winchester Low Wall, but it works great for the 1892 also. Problem is, it doesn't come with that tang screw, so you have to order one from Brownells or Marbles.
I put one on my Low Wall, and they're really nice for the $60 they charge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts