Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a distinct possibility that my wife and I may be moving to Central NC in about a month (potential job) and I am seeking advice/info from members familiar with the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area/ or the region off the back (Western) side of Ft Bragg for where to live and what may be available out that way. We are thinking about Moore County - are there places to shop - places to hunt - places to avoid etc.?

A friend is recruiting me to join his team working out of the back of Ft. Bragg and I am seeking info on the area/region if anyone is familiar- for instance, he tells me you can’t fire a gun on property in Moore County -?- that might not be a hardship, but it is a BIG difference from being able to step out my door and let fly on my property here in Onslow County - so are there decent shooting ranges? Decent areas to hunt, hunting/gun clubs to join (or avoid) etc?

Although we have started Google searches and will contact a realtor - what are the rents like, commute times, the wife wants shopping (grocery and other) nearby - no 30-45 minute drives to get what we need.... etc etc.

Any general tips and info that members familiar with the South and West side of Bragg can provide on life out that way is Greatly Appreciated- Thank You.

Tar_Heel

·
Premium Member
7,766 Posts
I have a farm in the eastern swamps around Little Washington, so not sure about the Ft. Bragg Area. I would imagine with the base there you should be able to find suitable places to shop and shoot.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I was born, and raised in Aberdeen, the bottom town in the Triangle, PH,SP, Aberdeen, all in Moore co. I think I remember a sign that said Ft. Bragg 29 miles. But that's to the "middle", theres a lot to Bragg area wise, there are some civilian hunting and fishing opportunities with permits and selected locations, I have gotten permits to fish some lakes in the past. Shopping, plenty in Aberdeen-Southern Pines, although we used to go to Fayetteville, because they had a Sears&Roebuck!!! Private land, unless you purchase your own, gotta meet the right person for permission, Some "game lands", that are the same as everywhere else, the exception to that scenario is, I just got a Whitetail magazine, with a article and pictures of a 200 inch deer killed on "public" land on Long Island N.Y., I mean DAYUM!! And the next day his buddy arrowed a 148 inch 9 pt. from the same stand, that ran with the 200 incher!! So, I suppose public land is what you make of it. Don't know if any of this helps you, but , as they say, "beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick", LOL T Rex

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sooo.... in other words None of you above have a clue... Thank You.

I live outside Camp Lejeune and have been out to Ft. Bragg itself numerous times - I’m certain I can find a place to shop and shoot, and know that they do provide opportunity for permitted hunting (but might be shotgun/ bow only) and fishing... and biking and hiking. Was asking if anbody on these boards had actual information about living on the back side of the base in these days and times.

I go up to Little Washington quite often - often times the wife and I will take a ride up just to sit by your neck of river front and eat at the Main St. Cafe. and mrguvna, one of these days I won’t be working when it’s time to pick them blueberries and we will finally get together and shoot the breeze and some trees!

Thanks for the responses though - without ‘em I’d be staring at a blank thread. :top: LoL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts