Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marlin 336 in 219 Zipper. It has a bull barrel on it, original Marlin. I just saw a 336SC in 219 Zipper which has the standard barreling.
My questions are;
First, how many total Marlins were made in this caliber, and of the total, how many were designated SC, RC, or otherwise ??
I was surprised when I got mine that the barrel was so heavy as I did not realize they came this way.
Thanks,
Ranger

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
3,230 made from 1955-1959.The bull barrel was introduced in 1956.Mine is a 1956 bull ,I wish it would shot better than it does.the only way I can get it to shoot MOA is to slow it down to around 2300fps, at 3400 I can get 3 shot groups around 1.75 inches at 100yds.I don't hunt with mine much but they'r a" must have" in a Marlin collection.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just begun to work up loads though I haven't been to the range yet. As I understand, the rate of twist that Marlin and Winchester were using in the barrels was just not suitable for heavier bullets and higher velocities. That is why you are experiencing better success slowing them down.
I would be curious to know how many came with the bull barrel.
I looked closely at mine yesterday and it turns out to be a SC.
I wouldn't mind having another.
Ranger

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mudpuppy I understand the micro barrells will not stand up under
hi-speed brass bullets . This i believe is what caused mine to loose
accuracy. when I load at around 2600 fps It levels out and improves
tom.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Ranger

Hi Ranger,
I just got on the new site. Had all kind of problems with cookies.I thought you purchased another Zipper 6-8 months ago? Our/Mine sights look great
by the way. Thanks,If you find anymore send them on.
:lol: 8) :lol: :D :lol: 8) :D :lol:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was my first one, Spike. It was a bull barrel model SC. Now I would like to add the regular one at some point.
I have developed some starting loads for it with three different bullets, but I have to get to the range to see how they perform.
Ranger

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have experimented with several loads based on 60 gr soft point bullets loaded from 2750-2900 fps with powder burn rates ranging from H4198 to H414, and they all seem to perform about the same from an accuracy standpoint. Since there's not many of us out there shooting the zipper it's nice to see other's experiences

1 - 7 of 7 Posts