Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm appealing to your sense of fair play here, devoid of gender loyalty. Mrs. Retro and I frequently cook on the wood stove or in the oven by wrapping edible parts of critters and assorted vegetables in aluminum foil. The fur usually flies (for the second time) over which side of the aluminum foil to have on the inside of the wrap--the shiny side or the dull side. One of us claims that the shiny side should be on the inside so as to allow the heat into the contents but then hold it in by reflection. The other one claims it doesn't matter at all. This topic has become standard dinner discussion every time we cook with foil. We anxiously await your answer with the anticipation of one of us eating crow.

·
Registered
670 Posts
FOILED AGAIN?

Dear 41Retro,
I am by no means an expert on this subject, but I have always
thought that the shiny side of the foil should be next to the food
when cooking. I think the reflective properties of the shiny side
help the heat to cook the food more evenly.

ANNABELLE :?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Try going to the website of some of the aluminum foil manufacturers and see what they have to say. Under the "Cooking Method" search options I selected "packet cooking" on the Reynolds site and found a number of recipes there. Only looked at the first 6 or 8 and they were split half and half over no indication of which side should face the food and the other half stating that the dull side should face inward. You will have to draw your own conclusions from what is in the recipe directions.

Don't know if the link will be good but you should have the information you need to find what I did.

http://www.reynoldskitchens.com/reynoldskitchens/kitchenconnection/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts