Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I order and paid for a BLR LT Monte Carlo lever action rifle today.Will be picking it up from my FFL in the next ten days. I don't see that well and want to scope it.What will be a good scope for a BLR 30.06 22" barrel?

Reactions: Reload

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I feel that the so-called average hunter can consistently make kill shots out to about 250 yards shooting a good 30-06 rifle. This is assuming that the hunter can make good use of steady field positions and not rely upon a bench rest. I've found 2-7X scopes to be most useful for my hunts. I suggest a strong look at VORTEX and Burris. My low recoil carbines all wear Simmons scopes because they do no kick the insides out of the scope. Simmons is budget priced but I like 'em!

Good hunting to you.
TR

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I order and paid for a BLR LT Monte Carlo lever action rifle today.Will be picking it up from my FFL in the next ten days. I don't see that well and want to scope it.What will be a good scope for a BLR 30.06 22" barrel?
I put a Leupold 3-9 X 40 VX1 on my Remington 700 in 30-06 and I couldn't be happier with that choice. Any quality scope will do the job with that caliber.
I personally prefer the 40mm objective over a 30mm for longer range shooting. A 50mm objective just looks goofy to me, but it sure gives a nice view.
Good luck,
Andrew

Reactions: If1Hitu

·
Registered
13,151 Posts
3x9x40mm is probably most versatile scope for that class of rifle. I like 40mm objectives because of their light gathering ability. I've never had a 50mm because on most rifles they have to be mounted high for objective bell to clear barrel. I've got a couple Burris 3x9s with 40mm objectives that are decent scopes. I would rather have Leupold but got Burris on sale.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The Leupold V3i 2.5-8x36 hits the sweet spot for power, weight, and size that I have a couple on Savage 99's. Nikon makes a 2-8x32, and Burris has the Fullfield II in 2-7x35 and 3-9x40. Leupold VX2 in 3-9x40, 2-7x32 work well. I have had good luck with Leupold Burris and Nikon, though I have had failures with Leupold, Burris and many others, mostly because the Leupold's and Burris have been used the most on hard kickers and tough country. I have a couple Leupold VX31 1.75-6x32 that I also like due to size, weight on a 444 and 45-70 but don't see them anymore. Leupolds seem to be lighter than the Burris and Nikons of equal power. I like Nikon Monarchs but they gotten much heavier in the last few years, all that 'tacticool' stuff I guess.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I order the rifle but my wife bought it for my Xmas and birthday gift.Just thought i'd clean it up.:wavey:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a Leopold 3.5x10x40 vari x3 on my BLR 308. I put it on in 95. It has held it's zero ever since. It cost as much as the gun but it works

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I'm a HUGE NIkon "Prostaff" fan. Best scope out there for the $$. I am also a huge 50mm objective fan. ALL my big game rifles carry a 3-9X50, DNZ Game Reaper mounts get them down so close I have to sand flat spots on my lens covers on some guns to get the scope covers on. The light transmission in low light conditions is AMAZING with this scope. I was sitting in the woods THIS year, so dark I could not see down to the end of the trail, UNTIL I looked through my scope, then I could see every leaf perfectly. I'm headed to my later 50's, and a good quality 50mm Prostaff extends my shooting time considerably.

In short: Nikon Prostaff 3-9X50 like this one, click on the pic and blow it up..you cant see light or hair :smokin: under the 50mm bell.

20171118_085317 (1).jpg

Reactions: marlinluvr

·
Registered
14,837 Posts
I have found, for the type of Hunting that I do, in a moderately wooded area my longest shots are about 75yards. 2X7x 33 or 35 is just perfect. Most of the time I have it set at 3 or 4 power.
That has been all that I needed. It depends on the area and the animal you are hunting.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
I’ve got a monarch 2.5-10 50 on a savage 110 308 and like it a lot but after getting a vx3 2.5-10 For my bdl 30-06 I’m a convert to the leupold camp and have never looked back after a few vx2’s in 2-7x

·
Registered
91 Posts
I use steel tube Weaver K3 or K4's on my short rifles and carbines . I hunt close cover and don't feel the need for more power plus they look great . If you hunt bean fields or power lines you may want more power . Nikon and Burris both make nice scopes and I own and recommend both with no reservations . Just don't put a big ugly 50mm scope on it !

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I only use Leupold Var-X III's, Meopta's and Zeiss and above with 44 to 50mm objective lens. Buy once cry once. Case in point. Yesterday morning I was sitting in one of my towers. Started seeing deer at 530am with my Meopta Binocs. At 625am I saw a lot bigger deer come out and I could see horns. I eased my rifle up and out and put the heavy duplex on his shoulder. The muzzle flash temporarily blinded me. Picking the binocs back up I saw a white belly down the lane. Note: none of this activity could I see with my naked eye. Since it was still dark I sat till about 7am and got down to see my deer. 184 lb. 8 pt.. Point is the small cheapie scopes won't cut it hunting during these early and late hours. Our shooting hours are 1 hour before sunrise to 1 hour after sunset.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts