Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who use the Model 70 mounts on your XL, can you tell me what you used for shims?

I picked up my mounts this week and have a new scope due to arrive tomorrow. I'm anxious to get my first round through it this weekend and unless I can level out the mounts I may get out the dremmel and cut the picatiny in to 2 halves. I wouldn't mine the pic rail but it looks like doing away with the one piece setup would make loadig it a lot easier.

Thanks again for helping a newbie get back in the world of long guns.

Hopefully I'll have some decent photos to upload once the scope is mounted. My Boyd's Pepper Praieir Hunter came in today and the fit was perfect, but it does have some small orange or yellow specs where it looks like someone missed a spot when applying the finish. I may send it back but that stock feels so smooth and solid I hate to take it off.

Thanks,
JR

·
Registered
111 Posts
For those of you who use the Model 70 mounts on your XL, can you tell me what you used for shims?

I picked up my mounts this week and have a new scope due to arrive tomorrow. I'm anxious to get my first round through it this weekend and unless I can level out the mounts I may get out the dremmel and cut the picatiny in to 2 halves. I wouldn't mine the pic rail but it looks like doing away with the one piece setup would make loadig it a lot easier.

Thanks again for helping a newbie get back in the world of long guns.

Hopefully I'll have some decent photos to upload once the scope is mounted. My Boyd's Pepper Praieir Hunter came in today and the fit was perfect, but it does have some small orange or yellow specs where it looks like someone missed a spot when applying the finish. I may send it back but that stock feels so smooth and solid I hate to take it off.

Thanks,
JR
my x7 22-250 came with a mount that is fine,its one piece & i have no problem loading it.why shims,my leupold scope & rings went together so nice,all i did was took out the bolt & looked down the bore at a target 25yds away,it was real close so i mounted it and shot it at 25yds,it was on paper so i went out to 100yds after a few three shot groups i was done. i wouldn't go cutting & grinding until after i had a problem,as far as loading you shouldn't be in much of a hurry when doing it, so if it's something you need to look at when doing it because its not so easy,that's is a good thing.just my two cents

·
Registered
540 Posts
also a little angle on the mount might be preferable depending on the range you want to shoot. Remember you're technically angling the barrel upwards to "lob" the bullet onto the target. It's also preferable to have the crosshairs as close to the center of the scope tube (mid range of adjustment) as possible. So if you have a little angle in the scope mount it can reduce the amount of adjustment you need to use on the crosshairs when sighting in the rifle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it may be an optical illusion, my eyes don't do stereo so I use one or the other, but it looks to me like the front base is higher than the rear. I can go back with the picatiny if needed, but one way or the other I'm turning some rounds lose with it this weekend! :) I'm going to mic the Marlin base and see if there really is a difference. I like the idea of having some angle but it looks like it would have a ton which is why I thought I would ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe a better question to ask would have been, for those of you who use a Win Mod 70 base, do you use any form of shims?

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I may be all wet but I have never had to shim a scope. If you do have to shim are you thinking you will have to put it under your base or inside the bottom half of the rings? Thinking back on it I may have shimmed one a long time ago and I think I used a piece of metal off a coke can cut to fit. It would seem to me if you had the right bases you would not need to shim unless I am missing something. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I used the Warne two-piece bases for my X7 with with Weaver Quad locks. No shims, everything works fine. The base that came with the rifle, was not parallel with the bore, and my scope had to be adjusted to the stop on the elevation adjustment to get the scope to sight in. Once it was sighted in, there was no adjustment left on the scope. I didn't like that, so, I changed to the Warne bases, and the problem went away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
L-Pete, would you happen to know the part number?

I'm thinking I have the wrong set. I asked for Mod 70 mounts and that's what the package says, and both look identicle, but there clearly needs to be a thicker or higher one for the rear or my scope will end up pointing at the clouds. Shimming didn't make any sense to me. Seems like it woudl defeat the purpose of having a more solid mount.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
The thicker one goes on the rear receiver bridge while the skinnier one goes on the front. I don't have the packaging of the set I got, but it was marked "Win Model 70 & Marlin X7". I don't think you've got the correct base set. One should definitely be taller than the other. The set you're looking at might be for a newer version of the Model 70 or some other version. I got mine at Cabela's in Springdale, Arkansas while I was there on a hunting trip in SW Missouri. I hope this helps........Good luck.......

Where are you at in La.? I live close to La., and possibly help you out with a location to go to...... or, order on line from Midway or Brownells........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thicker one goes on the rear receiver bridge while the skinnier one goes on the front. I don't have the packaging of the set I got, but it was marked "Win Model 70 & Marlin X7". I don't think you've got the correct base set. One should definitely be taller than the other. The set you're looking at might be for a newer version of the Model 70 or some other version. I got mine at Cabela's in Springdale, Arkansas while I was there on a hunting trip in SW Missouri. I hope this helps........Good luck.......

Where are you at in La.? I live close to La., and possibly help you out with a location to go to...... or, order on line from Midway or Brownells........
The more l look at it the more I am convinced I got the right package but the wrong mount. There's mo way this would work like it is. I called the shop and they are out of mounts for the X guns now so I am going to find another set elsewhere. Not sure when I'll get them though, I need to return to Texas this next week to take care of some family business but I am taking the rifle with me mainly because I'm itching to fire off a few rounds. I currently live in central Louisiana with Alexandria being the nearest "large" city.

I appreciate the help but since I will be away for about a week I will probably order a new set from online - if I can find them in stock. The problem with local gun supplies seems to be flowing over to online suppliers now. Some parts are just sold out with no ETA on re-stock.

Many thanks for the help and info!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
This isn't a great pic and the gun is still in need of a good cleaning after much fondling, but here it is for now in its virgin state.
I currently have the OEM rail with medieum Burris Zee rings under a Vortex Crossfire II 4x14x44. Great eye relief but I can't say much else about the scope because I live in a small community and haven't been able to take it outside. It would scare the crap out of the neighbors to see me swinging it around in my front yard.

The bolt cleares the scope by whisker with the scope cover off but not at all with it on.

DSCF1238a.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I don't know where you're headed in Texas, but there is Wulf Outdoors in Center, Texas, and a Gander Mountain in Beaumont, Texas. If you're going that far, there's a Bass Pro in Katy, Texas, on the south side of I-10 west of Houston. There's even a Carter's Country on the south side of I-10 in Houston, just west of I-610 West, you would exit at Blalock, and circle under the overpass to the south side.

That's a handsome rifle.......I hope that helps you out.........Good Luck......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know where you're headed in Texas, but there is Wulf Outdoors in Center, Texas, and a Gander Mountain in Beaumont, Texas. If you're going that far, there's a Bass Pro in Katy, Texas, on the south side of I-10 west of Houston. There's even a Carter's Country on the south side of I-10 in Houston, just west of I-610 West, you would exit at Blalock, and circle under the overpass to the south side.

That's a handsome rifle.......I hope that helps you out.........Good Luck......
I appreciate the location tips but I'm already back in Louisiana after a week of doing some repair work at a home in TX. While I was there I went to Academy in San Antonio and picked up another set of Leupold mounts for the Win Mod. 70 and they fit like a glove. I could tel by looking through the package before I bought them that they would fit. I feel like an idiot asking about shims, but since many people here have used the same mounts and no one ever complained, I figured I must have missed something in here somewhere since mine were all jacked up. Looks like I just got the wrong mounts the first time. The item numbers are the same but the second set of mounts are most certainly not like the first and look like they were made for the X gun. I got it all together but ran out of time before I had a chance to sight it in. I'll look for a range in central Louisiana. There's supposed to be one in a town that I can't spell but is pronounced Nack-a-Tish. Hope to go there this weekend.

Thanks to all for the help and please pardon my dumb post. Feels like I've just been pranked by an assembly line worker somewhere. :)

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I'm a little confused. Are you worried because the scope mount was not as thick in the front as it was in the rear portion of the mount for height? That is normal for a Mod 70 mount and for the Marlin Bolt Guns The MR7, XL7, XS7, and X rifles all use the Mod 70 mount. The rear hight of the mount is thicker than the front height of the mount. If you try and use a mount that is as tall in the front as the rear you will never get it zero'd.

Reactions: JRTEX

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a little confused. Are you worried because the scope mount was not as thick in the front as it was in the rear portion of the mount for height? That is normal for a Mod 70 mount and for the Marlin Bolt Guns The MR7, XL7, XS7, and X rifles all use the Mod 70 mount. The rear hight of the mount is thicker than the front height of the mount. If you try and use a mount that is as tall in the front as the rear you will never get it zero'd.
The confusion was on my end. The first set of mounts were the same height, which is why I posted the dumb question about shimming because they fit but had the scope tilting upward, and since lots of people here use them I figured I must have overlooked some unique trick to using the Mod 70 mounts others had used with such great luck. Right? No. The original package contained 2 front mounts. :(

I purchased a second set while in San Antonio and they were packaged correctly: one thicker than the other and now the scope fits and sits perfect. I brushed it off as a packaging error. I knew something was obviously wrong with the first set and never attempted to secure the scope with the screwed up mounts.

All is well now.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I got it now:biggrin: Hows it shoot?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got it now:biggrin: Hows it shoot?
Well I finally got it out today and fired enough rounds through it to know it will shoot far better than I can. I'm no stranger to guns but it's been many years since I fired a rifle larger than a 22, and since everything is new again it's going to take a while to get used to the gun and longer distance. I got the scope almost dialed in but the sun was setting in front of me which made it hard to keep the target in focus. Didn't do well enough to post any range photos I'd want to brag about and the best I could do was a 3" group at a hundred but that was all on me. Had very few shots where I felt comfortable at the snap due either to the sun or newness of the trigger. Didn't notice anything odd or unusual at all with the gun. The only surprise was my lack of skill.

Thanks to everyone in here for the help and advice. Hopefully I'll be back soon to post some decent range results. I really like this gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts