Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I'm pretty new to the Marlin rifle thing and I've been doing a lot of reading on here and elsewhere. I've looked at quite a few in the pawn shops and bought a couple. I haven't as of yet seen a Marlin anything that didn't have the JM stamp on it but every referral to a Marlin rifle or ad for sale of one states it has the JM stamp. My question is does any of them not have the JMstamp and if so what gun.

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
Remlins

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Any Marlin rifle with the REP stamp on the barrel is a Remlin made after the takeover. These REP stamps date back to 2010--after the manufacturing moved to NY from CT.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Remlin = Remington-Marlin. It's a bit of a pet name, though not one associated with any positive implications. Not a true Marlin; a loose impression. Whether it's better than nothing, is a matter of opinion, and much debate.

JM = John Marlin. The true Marlin by most standards.

Apparently the move incorporated the conversion to computer aided machinery. It's a sensible manufacturing decision, though the conversion of old vs. new has not been as smooth as we all hoped. I do think they are getting better, but it's just not what we are used to.

It's a bit like comparing the old hand drawn cartoons to the new CGI ones. They are getting better, but it's just not the same...

Or maybe invasion of the body snatchers is a better example...

Reactions: graymustang

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
JM generally found on left side of barrel just past receiver. (Except on right on some older ones). REP is on right side just forward of receiver. They're not always struck perfectly so they don't all look just like a JM.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
The JM stamp testifies that the rifle was made by Marlin before Remington bought the company in 2008 (or was it 2009). A serial number check will do the same thing, but not everyone is familiar with the method of deteriming the date of manufacture from the serial number. (If you're interested, do a search. It's a frequently repeated topic.)

Original Marlins were made in Connecticut. After Remington took over, the remaining stock, parts, and machinery were moved to New York. The Marlin workers were not. It is generally felt that the quality of the Remington produced Marlins took a serious decline after the move. The quality of Remington's production of Marlins may be starting to recover within the past year or so, but it is still "buyer beware". The reported problems range from cosmetic, poor wood to metal fit, finish, machining to safety, loose barrels, canted front sights, and cracked receivers.

JM stamped Marlins will never be made again. This gives them something of an exclusivity and desirability over the Remlins. If you prefer older rifles with history or character, only a JM Marlin can give it.

Reactions: SuperMarlin1984

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had actually figured all this out prior ro my posting this thread but thought I might be missing something because every ad for a marlin for sale states it has a JM stamped barrel. My point is that all the older models prior to the MR models will have the JM stamp. Kinda like it goes without saying.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
They advertise them as JM stamped to imply that they are some sort of rare collectors item and that you should pay more than what the rifle is actually worth in some cases. Reasonable people do it do they won't be bombarded with the same question over and over...
Off topic a little but folks on local trade boards around here are all over the place with prices. I've seen Taurus 1911's listed from 400-850. Someone had a Remington nylon 66 listed for 550 cash or 600 trade value the other day. Watch your deals guys; there's plenty of people waiting to skin you alive out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.