Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of loads can this rifle handle safely?

I'm really thinking about ordering one since I'll never be able to afford a Pedersoli Sharps replica.. or even the $546 22" barrel IAB Sharps replica down at my gunshop in town.

I'd like a light weight bullet but high velocity round for groundhog, and a good whitetail stopper too..

Also, what kind of rear site articulation does this rifle have? Is it adjustable for range like the Sharps, Creedmores, or other long range open site rifles?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
6pt-sika said:
Anything you can shoot in a Trapdoor should be alright.
well.. that isn't much. Trapdoors have a weak design.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Handi's and Buff Classics are made to shoot any of the newer Lever 45-70 loads, much more potent than the trapdoor loads. Although you are not supposed to shoot the Ruger #1 loads many here do and have done so for a long time with no problems....<><.... :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MSP Ret said:
Handi's and Buff Classics are made to shoot any of the newer Lever 45-70 loads, much more potent than the trapdoor loads. Although you are not supposed to shoot the Ruger #1 loads many here do and have done so for a long time with no problems....<><.... :D
I was at Accurate's site earlier looking at some loads.. I'm sure the Ruger #1 loads would knock me out of a tree stand. lol

Found a good load for ground hog, 305gr at a higher velocity. :) but that'll be determined once a I get the rifle and see what it likes.

any word on the sites?

·
Registered
627 Posts
There is a special flip-up ladder sight with a sliding U-notch and when it is down, a Semi-Buckhorn that you can buy from Smith Enterprises especially for the Buffalo classic. It costs a bit over $100. The WGRS sight that comes on the rifle is not as adjustable and not as authentic looking as the Smith Sight.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet!

Thats just about what I want too.. I'd love a Creedmore type site, but with no upper receiver tang to mount one to, it'd be turd trying to get aligned properly.

The Smith will work just fine. I could probably manufacture a sliding peep too for it with an aperture thats matches the proper eye-to-peep distance.

Thanks for point that sight out!!!!!

G

·
knight0334 said:
MSP Ret said:
I was at Accurate's site earlier looking at some loads.. I'm sure the Ruger #1 loads would knock me out of a tree stand. lol

Found a good load for ground hog, 305gr at a higher velocity. :) but that'll be determined once a I get the rifle and see what it likes.

any word on the sites?
Do what you want , but I would not shoot the 45-70 loads I have for my GG in a Handi-Rifle. I've worked with Handi-Rifle's in other calibers and just don't trust the strength that much . But like I said do what you are OK with :?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it too much. There are alot of rounds that H&R chambers their rifles for that have aloat higher pressures than a 45-70. They should be more than adequate for level 2 loads of the 45-70.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
6pt-sika ... but I would not shoot the 45-70 loads I have for my GG in a Handi-Rifle. I've worked with Handi-Rifle's in other calibers and just don't trust the strength that much . But like I said do what you are OK with
Hi, new here, just had to chime in here.....The NEF Handi-rifles will shoot any load that the Marlin GG will shoot according to the Buffalo Bore web site, they rate them for the same loads. I shoot the PMC 350gr, 2020fps loads in mine with no problems and they shoot well, ta boot! I'm currently working on a 300gr Nosler partition load in the 2200-2300fps range for my .45-70 Handi with laminated stock.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#4570

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/362657

·
Registered
316 Posts
quickdtoo

I don't know why some people feel that you can't shoot any of the newer 45-70 loads in the Handi-Rifle or Ultra's. Heck your shoulder will give out before the rifle will.

But having said that, I want you to understand, I have just never felt the 45-70 was ment to be super-charged either.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Montanan said:
quickdtoo

I don't know why some people feel that you can't shoot any of the newer 45-70 loads in the Handi-Rifle or Ultra's. Heck your shoulder will give out before the rifle will.

But having said that, I want you to understand, I have just never felt the 45-70 was ment to be super-charged either.
Montanan, I hear ya...but I don't think my shoulder will be givin up the ghost anytime soon with 2+lbs of lead in the laminated stock and a Limbsaver recoil pad against a past magnum shoulder pad. The PMC loads are easy to shoot from the bench with this set up. :)

·
Registered
316 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Montanan said:
quickdtoo

Montanan, I hear ya...but I don't think my shoulder will be givin up the ghost anytime soon with 2+lbs of lead in the laminated stock and a Limbsaver recoil pad against a past magnum shoulder pad. The PMC loads are easy to shoot from the bench with this set up. :)
quickdtoo

What I would like to see owners of the Buffalo Classic to do is try shooting from cross-sticks. You will notice that felt recoil or kick is quite a bit more milder. This is because your shooting possition is changed. Unlike using the bench to shoot from where your leaning into your rifle, with cross-sticks your sitting up in a differant possition.

It works... I have been known to sit and shoot a couple hundred heavy thumping 45-70 using 405-gr and 500-gr and in 45-90 using 405-gr, 500-gr and 550-gr rounds in a long day of it. NO other recoil reduction other than the added 2.25 pounds of lead to the stock bolt hole.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Now, I wonder where ya got that idea! Maybe a history lesson is in order! :) Shooting over cross sitcks was one of our favorite shoots at the black powder club, we shot 10 shots each sitting at 50 and 100yds using an NMLRA buffalo target, it was a hoot with patched round balls and a flintlock! :wink:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I posted a pick in the Gallery #4/325 (won't let me post pic here) of our Spring Target Shoot for the BCSS when it was active. The picture is a Bison Target that I made and used to sell shot at 200 yards using 405-gr bullets shooting off of cross sticks. Being that I headed the BCSS at that time I did not shoot for score but just shot to show people and members what the Buffalo Classic was very capable of shooting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is some fine shooting at 200 yards, off cross sticks with an inexpensive Handi in 45-70...There is no deer, moose, elk, or buffalo that could walk away from that!!!....<><.... :D

These guns, and that fine old 45-70 cartridge can shoot, in the right hands of course!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts