Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One in awhile I see a 1893 Marlin offered for sale in 30/30 or 3855.

The gun smith tells me that the rifles would stand up to the shooting I do with lead bullets at the range as well as jacketed rounds in the bush.
Not only would I want something a little different , but want it to group and stand the best of time. I am not at ther stage were I just want to collect and look at them.

Are these rifles prone to spring breakage and are they just as tough as the newer 336 model?

Happy

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
The springs don't break that often, but they develop headspace problems because of the milder steel. It's not well to shoot a lot of full throttle jacketed rounds through the older rifles. Find a good cast load, and you'll be in biz, though. SW

·
Registered
397 Posts
One thing to remember is that the Model 1893's are 100 years old (give or take). Yes, they are 'tough', but with time some things, like springs, may weaken. That being said, I shoot mostly cast lead bullets over light loads in my 1893's, with the exception of my .32 HPS, which is a later production rifle.
I think you'll find the concensus here will be to stay away from jacketed bullets in the Model 1893.

WB

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
If you plan to shoot some factory loads, and some hotter jacketed loads, I would suggest you stick with a model 36 or 336 Marlin. These guns are both designed for those loads, and would not be a problem, regardless of age.
I shoot mild cast bullet loads in all my older Marlins, regardless of caliber or model. I've taken deer with these guns, and they still do a good job, without abusing them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information Guys.

I shoot a lot of lead loads in all my rifles , mainly at plates as off pratice for the hunting season as well as CB shooting locally. So far I have shot about 5000 rds through my 44 using lead loads and the rifle bore is still like new other than a mirror polish it now has .

I am going to check into that ol' 93 and now have some idea what to look out for . Thanks for the info.
Happy.

·
Registered
719 Posts
one more thought.....

also......if you buy a older 93', look and see what the markings are on the barrel.....mine is marked smokeless, i shot it just enough to get a good accurate load found...now it stays in the gun safe mostly.....i'll save it for someday hunts, along side the savage99 in 303.
but if you get a 93 w/o that on the barrel, light lead loads is all I would shoot in her....respect the lady, and she'll treat you right! :p

and when i want to shoot the heck outta something....i get my 25-20 marlin 94 out...with 8gr of 2400 behind tha lead bullet.....shoots all day! or my 22mag mm25....now THERE"s a accurate little rifle! :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts