Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ramp sight on my 1950 336A is messed up - looks like someone tried to file it out larger or drove a wider sight base in the dovetail or something. Will the front sight for a late model 336 swap out? It doesn't have to be a duplicate for aesthetics as the rifle is already bubba-ed up a little - was buffed with a wire wheel prior to a little cold blue -ouch! :p

I also need a butt plate - the rifle has a big recoil pad installed, but I don't believe the stock was cut. I've been meaning to get the pad off and measure the stock so I can order one from Vintage Grips. Can anyone tell me the correct size for the replacement screws to install the butt plate?

And - while I'm asking- can anyone tell me the correct dimensions for the buttplate? 1950 vintage (H prefix) 336A. The stock seems to be pretty thick.

Thanks!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Yes, the front sight insert should swap out. I have a 1950 (G serries) 336A and I just replaced the front sight ramp insert with the same size I used on my 366's, 444's and 1895, except that I replaced them with a tritium insert that you can get from XS Sight Systems. The one that was on the rifle when I got it was loose and you could push it with your fingers.

I took the white spacer between the butt plate and stock out and can send you a tracing if that will help. Send me an e-mail or PM with you address and I will see what I can do in the morning.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If memory serves me....the butt plate off of a 45-70/444marlin(1895) will fit the older 336a butt stock.

·
Contributing Member
11,599 Posts
If you are looking to replace the entire ramp, somewhere along the way they changed the screw settings but I don't know when or for how long they had the same hole placements. I believe the change was fairly recent but either way you'd have to know which ramp you're buying. Sorry I can't be of more help. Leverdude or Swany could probably give more input.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Long as it's been messed up why not try fixing it?

Sight ramps are steel and can be brazed, as could the sights bottom to fill in the space. Tapping the top of the dovetail will also close up the gap. Centered with a dab of JB Weld would hold it in place.

I've done some pretty harsh things to make a gun usable, lots of truck guns out there that look like they were drug behind the truck but function well.

Ramps, on my 1949 336A the screws are in front and back of the sights dovetail both in the open, my recent purchase of a 1970 336RC has the same spacing but the ramp itself is shorter but would swap.

Newer guns have one screw under the sight and the other in the open.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input! It is the top of the ramp that is boogered on my rifle; I thought about degreasing it well and using some QuickSteel or JB Weld to hold the insert in place. I need to look at it again to see if hammering the top might help also.

Question - should I worry about the vibration or whatever from the bullet going down the barrel shaking the QuickSteel or JB Weld loose ore cracking it? ??? My main use for this rifle will be shooting cast bullets at about 1600 - 1800 fps at targets, turtles, yard varmints, etc, so failure of my repair wouldn't be too big of a tragedy.

Brazing would be another good solution, but I don't currently have a handy resource. Sure miss the old ag shop from high school FFA! 8)

Cedar Creek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts