Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of .38-55 Cowboy Dies. The set came with two expanders........the #376, which actually measures .374", and the #379, which actually measures .377". I need an expander that actually measures .379". Does anyone know if RCBS offers specific diameter expanders? I can't seem to find anything on-line that addresses that.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Er, uh, what does "Ttt" mean? :hmmmm:

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Chris623 - It is my understanding the 377 expander is for use when loading and shooting cast lead bullets. The 374 for loading and shooting jacketed bullets. They are smaller in diameter to create a tight fit, to keep the bullet from moving under recoil. You turn the expander in so that the tapered "shoulder" bells the case mouth only enough to allow the bullet begin being seated. There is a roll crimp in the seater die that allows a roll crimp if you want one. It is easy to crimp too hard and create a wrinkle that will prevent you chambering the loaded round. Shenandoah

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I know it's purpose and how to adjust it. I just want one that is larger than .377". Do you know if they make one? I can't seem to find any reference to that fact.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris623-------looking at catalog from Buffalo Arms .com---------they list custom expander plugs for RCBS-----$18----tel. no. 208-263-6953-----they might be able to fix ya up!
Thanks. Had no idea.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Chris,
Did you contact RCBS directly? I needed a specialized bullet seating stem for .357 & .44 - if memory serves correctly, they cost me $15.00 a piece. I also needed a different expander for a 9mm - that ended up being a freeby. Customer service at RCBS is usually top notch. May be worth a try in any case.

Regards,
Skyhunter

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Agree with Skyhunter, I called RCBS a few yeas ago and ask for some larger 45 Colt and 44Mag expanders and they sent out a couple no charge, not sure if they'll still do that..
Great service, improves accuracy with lead for sure.

James

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris,
Did you contact RCBS directly? I needed a specialized bullet seating stem for .357 & .44 - if memory serves correctly, they cost me $15.00 a piece. I also needed a different expander for a 9mm - that ended up being a freeby. Customer service at RCBS is usually top notch. May be worth a try in any case.

Regards,
Skyhunter
No, actually it turned out I didn't need one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.