Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got lucky at the gun show today and found a Texan for a decent price. I’ve been wanting one for quite a while but didn’t want to pay the prices people were asking. This one is in fair shape and is a 1970 100 year model with a gold saddle ring and a medallion embedded in the stock.

I do have a question about it concerning the lever. It does not appear to fit flush against the underside of the tang as it should. I bought it from an acquaintance who is a pretty straight shooter. He said he was selling it for a friend and that it was a one owner. The lever looks too curved for a Texan but nowhere near curved enough to be for a pistol grip model.
What do y’all think?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
It might be tweaked a bit, the top of the lever runs parallel with the bottom tang on my straight stocked Marlins. Congrats on a good find! DP

Reactions: Leverforever

·
Super Moderator
9,347 Posts
The lever was changed to square in 1970 although those cutoffs weren't precisely executed. It almost looks too far misaligned but not sure.

Does it appear to have been a curved one that was straightened? The photo on my phone is too small to detect any smithing marks.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello Hook, I've reshaped a few of these levers and they are not that hard to bend. It may have been "tweaked" as dpe.ahoy mentioned.
Hard saying what may have happened but that Texan looks to be in pretty good shape, very nice catch.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
It does look kind of amiss. I bet it has been adjusted or maybe whacked really hard. But it's a fine gun and I would be proud to own it. I would not make any adjustment to it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It feels and operates just fine....it just looks a little 'off'. All the pics I could pull up showed the lever to be pretty much parallel to the tang metal and I was wondering if there was a logical explanation for this one not doing that. I guess it could be damaged or an ill fitting replacement, but it will do for my purposes.

I am very tickled to finally own a Texan. I prefer the pistol gripped versions for harder kicking calibers, but the straight grip and slim forearm of the Texan makes for a great totin' rifle. If only my eyes would still allow the use of irons, it would be perfection! I worked on it last night adding sling studs, replacing the Marlin bullseye, cleaning the bore thoroughly (resulting in a beautiful shiny surface), adding a hammer spur, and mounting a 4X Leupold. I'll find out how she shoots later today.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I think Mikewood is very close on this. At least to what I'm seeing. I'm thinking it was bent and restraightened.

I'm basing my WAG on the lines that parallel next to the rifle. From the photo the edge appears to have a bit of roll or wave to it. Certainly nothing to detract from it. I would have most certainly bought it.

Looking at it again, the shadows could be messing with the appearance. No matter, I still would have gotten it. Nice find !!

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and BFPGW

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I'm thinking the same as others have mentioned above. Don't know if that the case here, but have read a few times of people bending/tweeking the lever on their rifles with some over-zealous attempts at clearing a jam/hard extract. You may be able to straighten it better if that the case, and/or replace if you can find a spare of the same type if you want.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shot it a few times this afternoon. I had some 150 and 170 gr reloads that are several years old I had on hand for my M36 so tried them. I cleaned the bbl down to bare metal last night and it took a little while to get it fouled and settled down. She didn't seem to like the 170s much, throwing them into a round 2.8" group. The 150s did better. Five of the 6 six shots were in 1.7" with a flyer opening it to over 3". Certainly good enuf to bust a whitetail, but I'll tinker with it a bit to see if it'll do better just for the fun of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.