Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and recently purchased two Marlins, a 39a and an 1894 in 357 mag, currently on layaway. My 1894 was made in 1980. I noticed that there is no trademark dot on the gun. Is that a normal variation? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I don't know about the new ones but the bullseye used to indicate a walnut stock. The store brand marlins with sycamore, birch, or whatever didn't have them.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Hey Sage, I can't tell you whether that would be normal on an 1894 from that vintage, but I have been wondering, and just haven't ask these knowledgeable folk, "What is the purpose of the black/white bullseye if it wasn't to put the sling stud in, which by the way IS the perfect place to put it"?:hmmmm:

Have a blessed day!

Mop

Oh and grilla comes in while I'm typing and spoils it for me I see!!!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Marlin has specifically stated that it is not the place to mount a sling stud.

Marlin Bullseye All Marlin

Product Information This is a original factory replacement part. Factory replacement parts are manufactured to the exact same specifications and tolerances and use the same manufacturing materials as the original parts.

Technical Information

This replacement part known as the Marlin "Bullseye" is a trademark that has been in use on Marlin walnut buttstocks since 1922.
This is not a suitable place for the installation of a sling swivel; sling swivels should be mounted approximately 2" from the toe of the butt.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have a few Marlin guns without the bullseye, I wonder how hard it would be to install a bullseye on the ones without out. I know the bullseye is intended for Walnut stocks but I'd like all my guns to have it Walnut stock or not.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Bullseye was for easy recognition when looking at guns standing in a gun rack at the store!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
478 Posts
The bullseye on my 1894 44 Mag came out on its own. It was only glued in and started sliding out. Re glued it and all is well, but it wouldn't hold a sling stud very well.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Well I'll be! Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info P-bass.

Mop

·
Registered
839 Posts
So is there a guide to add the bullseye to Marlins that never had one? I'd like all my Marlins to have the bullseye walnut stock or not.
I'm not sure there is, but I'm sure drilling the hole is similar to drilling a stock for swivels. Just the hole is bigger. Slap some glue on your bullseye, insert into hole, let dry, then cut flush.

Reactions: 69Viking

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey Sage, I can't tell you whether that would be normal on an 1894 from that vintage, but I have been wondering, and just haven't ask these knowledgeable folk, "What is the purpose of the black/white bullseye if it wasn't to put the sling stud in, which by the way IS the perfect place to put it"?:hmmmm:

Have a blessed day!

Mop

Oh and grilla comes in while I'm typing and spoils it for me I see!!!
Sorry, Mop. didn't mean to rain on your parade. :biggrin:

·
Registered
882 Posts
So is there a guide to add the bullseye to Marlins that never had one? I'd like all my Marlins to have the bullseye walnut stock or not.
Please don't add a bullseye where there is none!
That will affect the collectability ( and value ) of the rifle. Marlin collectors will spot it and be suspecious of the gun.
Believe it or not, there is collectors value in store brand Marlins. The were sold by Western Auto, Montgomery Ward, or Sears. As I recall they did NOT have a bullseye in the stock.
M.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Please don't add a bullseye where there is none!
That will affect the collectability ( and value ) of the rifle. Marlin collectors will spot it and be suspecious of the gun.
Believe it or not, there is collectors value in store brand Marlins. The were sold by Western Auto, Montgomery Ward, or Sears. As I recall they did NOT have a bullseye in the stock.
M.
My guns were bought online, second hand and from Walmart. Regardless I'm never selling any of them, I have 2 sons they'll be handed down to with the understanding they will pass them on to my grandchildren so I'm not going to worry about a collector's value. In all honesty I'd pay more for one with the bullseye than without and wouldn't worry about how it got there. My guns are bought to shoot and for my family to enjoy now and well into the future!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts