Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The lever on my 1963 336 doesn't engage solidly. It barely clicks closed, and then the slightest bump or movement will pop it open. It pops open after every shot, and although the gun still shoots very well, I want the lever fixed. Is this a DIY job, or should I take the rifle to a gunsmith?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
My rule of thumb is that if the problem is not readily apparent, I ask someone who knows. There is no doubt that someone on this board does.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My 336 did the same thing. Not knowing just what it was, I took it to a gunsmith. Three days and $25 later, I got the gun back good as new. Whether that was a good price for the work or not, matters not to me. I got the gun back in time for a hunt. :D
Paul B.

G

·
Tex:

It's DIY if you're inclined that way. There is a locking mechanism that engages when you close the bolt, see it? You can remove that piece by driving the pin out. then the plunger and spring come out.

Sometimes guys weaken this spring to get easier and faster and maybe quieter lock-ups. You can get the factory spring from, well, the factory.

Or you might try stretching the current one to make it stiffer.

There is also a low probability possibility that the pin in the trigger guard assembly is bent, so that the detent never quite gets into detention.

It's also possible that the detent is sticking in its bore, a burr could cause this, although that spring is really stiff from the factory. I slicked mine up and clipped the spring and it is still too too.

Does this help?

Grizz

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'll second what Grizz said & add a few things to check out.

The trigger block spring sometimes is strong enough to push the action open upon firing.
Its the little button behind the trigger the lever depresses upon closing. Its a easy to reach spring thats easy to relieve if needed. (Just bend it a bit.)
You should be able to push the trigger block up with light finger pressure, anything beyond that is only trying to open your action. Go easy though if you try it because its easy to go to far.

You also might see about the magazine spring. I had one that would pop open only on the first 2 shots, after that it was fine. It was tough to figure out because when looking for the trouble the gun seemed to function fine.(as it was unloaded) But load four shells & on the fifth the mag spring was pushing hard enough that it took only a slight bump & the action popped open. Cut off a coil at a time till I liked it, again, go slow unless you want to buy a new spring.

After rereading your post & seeing the age of the gun, it probubly is the lever catch mentioned above, unless someone replaced the mag spring at some point.
Good luck,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts