Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear alot about getting lead bullets .001" oversize & all
My question is I'm thinking of getting some hardcast for my 45/70 & all I'v seen were .458. I'd shot alot of PMC's 405 grain hardcast facftory load & its a nice shooter in my gun.
So, is the oversize thing for soft lead only or all unjacketed stuff?

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Ken,

I shoot .002 oversized Hardcast out of my .444's. The oversize lets the bullets really grip the rifling and keeps blow-by down to a minimum.

You really should slug your barrel and may need to firelap in order to shoot the cast very accurately. Huge subject here Ken!!

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave,
I read that link before & I know theres alot to it. I never firelapped my bore but it shot that PMC load into 3" at 100 yards scoped & 2 sometimes if I really tried & things were feeling right. I was thinking maybe hardcast dont need to be so oversized.
I'm gonna see if I cant find some lead balls .460 or so in dia or them sinkers mentioned in the article I can drive down the bore for measuring.
Do you cast your own? Most of what I'v found were .458 & some .459. Havent looked too hard yet tho.
I did scavange 50 pounds or so of lead flashing the other day so maybe I will make my own. Gotta pay down some cards first though before even thinking about molds as this new hobie turned into a bit of a money pit. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Money pit indeed Ken!!

I read and read all the Marshall at BTB had to offer on firelapping, decided to go for it and got the complete kit. My .35 Rem needed firelapping badly but my .444S did not and neither did my 444S. All three shoot cast really well. REALLY well.

I do not cast...yet. But have been slowly assembling the various things I will need. IF you decide to try slugging your bore, let me know and we will talk again. My suggestion is to just reload using whatever jacketed bullets you want to try and get familiar with the reloading process first. Once you are comfortable with your abilities, it would be a good time to get into cast bullets. Just MHO

Dave 8)

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some jacketed coming as we type but was thinking I should get some hard cast as that was what I'v been using for awhile now in the guide gun.
I need to do a bit more research before I'll be comfortable with my knowledge enough to buy some tho.
No range this weekend, my favorite one aint opening till April. I may get in there earlier if I can hook up with them for preseason maintenance but its likely my first home brewed ammo will be shot at my camp.
Theres another pretty close by with a 200 yard range but its $12/hr on weekends. Weekdays its $12 all day, that I can swing but not the hourly rate.
I tend to burn the day once I get to a range & that place cost me over $70 one Saturday. I wasn't real happy bout that & wont be doing it again.
My fav one is $13 all day anyday theyre there & alot less commercialized. I join for the year & its only $125 for me & I believe $50 a piece for the boys.

Anyway thanks for the help & I may just give you a ring when I get around to slugging. :wink:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Ken, I got 1600 lbs of lead flashing a while back from a job site I was working on. I bought a lead pot from a plumbing supply, a lee mold, and some 50-50 lead tin solder to harden. I am playing with making paper patched bullets. If you got the lead give 'er a try!! :D

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on it Mommicked,

Funny you mentioned solder as thats what I'm planing on using to harden it whenever I get around to it. Whats a good mix for a hardcast with lead/tin?

Never got to it this weekend but I'm gonna melt it down on a coleman stove & make some ingots for later use. If I knew the right ratio I'd put the solder in it at that time. Theres alot more still on the house & I plan on grabbing as much as I can. I have alot of other uses for sheet lead at work & usually grab some when I come across it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm not sure. For hunting bullets, Paul Matthews liked soft bullets paper patched. I had made some lyman #2 alloy using lead, 50/50, and some linotype I bought from Midway, I forget the ratio but would be glad to look it up if you are interested. The nice thing about the pp bullets is that hardness of bullet, up to 2200 fps, is unimportant except for terminal performance. No leading of barrels. I will probably wind up using about 1/4 a bar of 50-50 to a pot full of lead sheathing, haven't done the math yet. :oops:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Ken, I've measured those PMC. They come out at .460. The cheaper way to do this is get whatever mold you want. I avoid Lee, and prefer RCBS, Lyman, or Mountain Molds, and size them with a Lee sizer. This must be custom job, and will set you back about 30 bucks. You resize the nose first bullet, then tumble lube them. Many ways to skin a cat here, but this is the easiest and cheapest. I prefer the 457-643 bullet from Lyman for a non-gas checked plinker that is very accurate and deadly. Comes closer to your PMC than anything else. Many really like the RCBS 405gr. bullet, as I do, but this Lyman bullet just shoots better for me. Many folks get the lee type molds. I sure don't mind their bigger gang molds, but their cheapie single molds are crap. I bought one, followed the directions, and nearly had to beat it to death to get it to release. I've had better luck since then, but don't like thier designs for the most part.

457-643 can be shot as cast if using wheel weight alloy. Out of my mold, it mics .461.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks fella's, all useful info as far as I'm concerened. I have a box of them PMC's but never thought to measure one. :oops:

Mommicked,
I been reading about paper patching & it sure seems interesting & something I might get into at some point, not yet but someday. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts