Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference between using LRP's and LRP'S Match primers?.?.???

308win with 110gr Barnes TTSX in Hodgdon Reload Center calls for Match primers...?????
Would LRP's be OK?.?

Thanks
BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
match primers are manufactured to tighter control for consistancy

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HIllCountryShooter

So I'm guessing that because I have no match primers that standard LRP's will still work ok...?

Thnx
BG4570

·
Premium Member
15,449 Posts
will work fine, I tried the bench rest / match primers, I'm sure they help some, but my groups did not improve (I am no match shooter for sure) so I load with regular or magnum primers

Reactions: BloodGroove4570

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
As Hill Country mentioned, Match primers are supposed to be manufactured to tighter standards to have more consistent ignition (same size/temp of flame jet, every time).

I don't recall the source, but someone did a match vs standard primer consistency challenge. Same bullet and brass weight, same powder weight, with the only variable the primer brand and type. IF I recall the results correctly, some brands of standard primers were more consistent than the match versions.

Personally, the 'precision' rifles I use shoot MUCH better than me anyway. When 'I' get to the point where I'm shooting groups the size the rifles are capable of, then I'll worry about optimizing the components.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As Hill Country mentioned, Match primers are supposed to be manufactured to tighter standards to have more consistent ignition (same size/temp of flame jet, every time).

I don't recall the source, but someone did a match vs standard primer consistency challenge. Same bullet and brass weight, same powder weight, with the only variable the primer brand and type. IF I recall the results correctly, some brands of standard primers were more consistent than the match versions.

Personally, the 'precision' rifles I use shoot MUCH better than me anyway. When 'I' get to the point where I'm shooting groups the size the rifles are capable of, then I'll worry about optimizing the components.
I hear'ya!......I reckon the Deer/Game wont know if I'm using match primers or match sticks to ignite the powder once that speedy lead passes on through'em..... :biggrin:...:eating:

I just wanted to make certain I wasn't missing something, and BLOW Me self or my rifle UP!!!! :ahhhhh:

Thanks fellers :tee:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts