Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't hunted deer with my 44 magnum in a few years, however after dragging my 1894 around this summer as a camp gun I decided to use it mule deer hunting
When I first bought my rifle, I found it shot winchester 240 well AND it worked well on the deer I shot with it.

Usually if it ain't broke, I don't try to fix it however this new 225 grain bullet intrigues me

Has anyone use this round on deer or black bear

At this time I don't reload and am only looking a factory ammunition

Thanks

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Used my 1894 and 240 gr. Federal Fusion to take a nice doe. Put a 50 cent piece hole clear thru and it dropped. Hornady had a video of them shooting a Bison with that round on their web site.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I shot a buck last year with them. It worked really well. It was a little under 50 yds and it poked two big holes in him and he didn't go far at all. They're deer killers for sure. I wouldn't hesitate to use on a bear as long as it was a close shot and I could place it well. My 44 leverguns love em too. The white box winchester 240 sp are rock solid too though. Seen lots of hogs fall to those.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I haven't hunted deer with my 44 magnum in a few years, however after dragging my 1894 around this summer as a camp gun I decided to use it mule deer hunting
When I first bought my rifle, I found it shot winchester 240 well AND it worked well on the deer I shot with it.

Usually if it ain't broke, I don't try to fix it however this new 225 grain bullet intrigues me

Has anyone use this round on deer or black bear

At this time I don't reload and am only looking a factory ammunition

Thanks
If it was all that was available, it'll do. Otherwise, there are cheaper options just as good. I've discussed the FTX at length in past posts, should you wish to go search for them.

Briefly, the .44 Mag FTX has a WORSE ballistic coefficicent than the 240 gr. hollow points that I now use, so the supposed advantage of the pointy bullet isn't there. The cases are shorter to be able to run that long bullet through the action, doesn't make a difference if you don't reload, but does limit the amount of powder behind it. Jsckets seem a bit more fragile than the Noslers I load, don't know how that would translate to tougher critters than I hunt.

If you're one of those guys that buys a box of ammo and it lasts for 10 years of hunting, then go for it. If you want to practice before going to the field, you might look at some of the cheaper alternatives.

Stan S.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Up here 44mag. ammunition is limited and expensive
At my local store
A box of 50 Winchester 240 grain jsp is $54.99
A box of 20 Hornady 225 grain ftx is $23.99

I don't mind paying a higher cost for hunting ammunition IF it performs better
I haven't shot my 1894 much in the last few years as I have mostly been moose and elk hunting so I have been shooting mostly rimfire (plinking), 338 winmag and my 308

I did a search on this site and didn't find anything specific to the 225 GR TFX ammo
If experienced users tell me that it offers no benefits over traditional 240 grain ammunition than I will save myself the money

Thanks guys I do appreciate the comments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should add that the last 15 years or so life has really been busy, and I only got out for one or two hunting trips a year, because of this they were usually in northern BC
However this year is different and I won't be able to travel far to hunt, but my schedule is a lot more open
There is decent mule deer hunting within an hours drive of my house so I plan on getting out regularly
I have no reason to pack around a scoped rifle if I am deer hunting so I decided to bring out my 1894 and my 336

Both have worked in the past on deer and they are easy to pack and quick to the shoulder

·
Registered
805 Posts
You can stick with the more traditional ammo, there is no advantage for the .44 FTX. The 30-30 there is but not the 44.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
The ONLY "advantage" and reason I currently have my scoped SS sighted in with 225 FTX is because they are widely available. The $38 Win Whitebox 240 JSP at Walmart is a better deer and hog killer in my opinion. Like I said in one of my post about my particular picky rifle, If I could find enough 180gr Rem JSP, thats what I would use.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I looked at them when I got a 44 mag recently. With the reloading data I examined, I didn't see any advantage over the 240 JHP.
I don't shoot them (FTX) in my 45-70 or 450 Marlin either. Nothing against the load, but I don't want to deal with reloading cases of two different lengths.

·
Banned
4,733 Posts
I love my 44's, but when you don't reload, selections and quantities are getting limited.

I'm currently considering selling out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well just what is the best bullet an load 240 gr F.P.or 200 gr F.P. powder H110 A buddy loads 200 Gr F.P with H110 an 26 GR he says 1800 fps right or wrong This is out of a 22 inch barrel

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
I love my 44's, but when you don't reload, selections and quantities are getting limited.

I'm currently considering selling out.

Dang Willie...what happened?
I thought you was a handloader.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts