Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this question would be applicable to all calibers of the FTX ammunition. As I understand it, the Hornady die sets work well with what I will refer to as the standard length cases (SAAMI spec?) as well as the FTX cases. How do the other manufacturer's die sets work with the shorter cases? Are there any differences to take into consideration that would make one manufacturer more desirable than another? I figured some of you experienced hand loaders could pitch in. Thx,

·
Registered
299 Posts
As far as .35 Rem, I have no problem loading ftx cases with my Lee dies. I have heard that there is a problem with 45-70 ftx cases however.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've modified my dies a bit to load the short brass in 444Marlin.
I ground 0.150" or so off of a Lee FCD to line up with the case mouth.
I put a piece of dowel between the plug and adjuster stem to lower the expander plug.(Lee)
My Lyman dies worked fine, but I haven't tried crimping with them, just use the Lee FCD.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I have the Hornady dies for 444, 45/70 and 450 Marlin
Wish I would have done RCBS Cowboy dies for the 45/70 from the start and the regular RCBS dies for the others.
As all I load is Cast
Now my Dillion 44 mag dies work great on cast

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I use the Lee 90506 & 90631 30-30 die set and FCD on Hornady FTX cases and FTX 160g 30-30 bullets without any problems. Sometimes I use my wife's Dillon stuff without issues as well. I don't know if the 30-30 cases are significantly shorter than the Federals, Winchesters, PPU or Remingtons, but I trim them all to 2.039 every time I reload any of them. I've never been able to find new FTX cases, so all of mine are once-fired cases from factory FTX ammo and need trimming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts