Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a quick question that I just thought of. My brothers and I are planning on going hog hunting in a few months. I really want to take my new 336C. My question is, can I use it for hunting in CA since it holds more than 4 rounds? ??? I would rather take my levergun than my Rem 710 in 30-06. Any info you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I was a licensed hunting and fishing guide (#2725) in California from 1995 to 2006. A standard 336C with 6 round in magazine + 1 in chamber capacity is perfectly legal. I am curious as to why you think it wouldn't be.

I've shot far more pigs than deer with my own 336. It got the job done without fuss, drama, or fail.. Every time. For my own recreational hunting, it was my favorite rifle to use. The shotgun-like, dynamic handling that lets you get off a fast, accurate shot from an unsupported position proved to be an asset to me, many times over. A lot of the public land areas you can hunt pigs on is brushy and / or densely wooded -like Fort Hunter Ligget, for example, or the nearby Los Padres National Forest. The private lands that I guided on were mostly rolling oak / grassland finger-ridges, but the draws between those ridges would often be brushy and many would be thick with riparian growth where pigs would gather to wallow in muddy creek bottoms. For the most part, at least the huunting that I did recreationally or conducted as a guide, would have shot opportunities well within the 200 yard effective range of a 336 in .30-30 stoked with 170 grain round or flat nosed ammo.

I guided plenty of clients toting lever actions -usually Marlins chambered in .45-70 or .444. But a lot of my female clients used Marlins in .30-30 or .35 Remington to good effect. Whenever a client was booking a trip and asked what kind of gun I'd recommend them to bring, I'drecommend that they bring their lever action if they owned one and shot it well. So I am biased and think Marlin (and Winchester, Savage, and Browning) lever actions and California pigs are like apple pie and ice cream -they just go together soooo well.

Depending on where you are hunting, you may ned to shoot lead free ammo. The Condor zone where you can't shoot lead occupies some okay public land pig hunting ground, so you need to be aware of that.

T-C

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tele-Caster said:
I was a licensed hunting and fishing guide (#2725) in California from 1995 to 2006. A standard 336C with 6 round in magazine + 1 in chamber capacity is perfectly legal. I am curious as to why you think it wouldn't be.

I've shot far more pigs than deer with my own 336. It got the job done without fuss, drama, or fail.. Every time. For my own recreational hunting, it was my favorite rifle to use. The shotgun-like, dynamic handling that lets you get off a fast, accurate shot from an unsupported position proved to be an asset to me, many times over. A lot of the public land areas you can hunt pigs on is brushy and / or densely wooded -like Fort Hunter Ligget, for example, or the nearby Los Padres National Forest. The private lands that I guided on were mostly rolling oak / grassland finger-ridges, but the draws between those ridges would often be brushy and many would be thick with riparian growth where pigs would gather to wallow in muddy creek bottoms. For the most part, at least the huunting that I did recreationally or conducted as a guide, would have shot opportunities well within the 200 yard effective range of a 336 in .30-30 stoked with 170 grain round or flat nosed ammo.

I guided plenty of clients toting lever actions -usually Marlins chambered in .45-70 or .444. But a lot of my female clients used Marlins in .30-30 or .35 Remington to good effect. Whenever a client was booking a trip and asked what kind of gun I'd recommend them to bring, I'drecommend that they bring their lever action if they owned one and shot it well. So I am biased and think Marlin (and Winchester, Savage, and Browning) lever actions and California pigs are like apple pie and ice cream -they just go together soooo well.

Depending on where you are hunting, you may ned to shoot lead free ammo. The Condor zone where you can't shoot lead occupies some okay public land pig hunting ground, so you need to be aware of that.

T-C

Thanks Tele-Caster, I was just curious because I have heard that you can only hunt with a firearm capable of holding four rounds total. Just want to make sure I dont go out there and get into trouble with the Game Warden my first time out. I live in Kings County and my brothers live in Fresno county. Do you know of any good public spots that you could recomend to hunt?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most states limit the number of rounds for hunting if the gun is a semi-automatic. Bolt & lever guns generally aren't as restricted.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Justwanttoshoot said:
Thanks Tele-Caster, I was just curious because I have heard that you can only hunt with a firearm capable of holding four rounds total. Just want to make sure I dont go out there and get into trouble with the Game Warden my first time out. I live in Kings County and my brothers live in Fresno county. Do you know of any good public spots that you could recomend to hunt?
Go to or contact the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) office in Hollister. Back in the day, they used to do a packet of maps specifically for pig hunters interested in shooting pigs on lands under their purview. Probably still do.

I've shot pigs on the Laguna Mountain area and I accessed it via King City. The south end of the San Benito Mountain Management Area accessed from Colinga Rd (IRRC) used to have some pigs wandering around. If you're in to quail hunting, that place was FANTASTIC. Also, just beyond New Idria, I think you come to Little Panoche. Never so much as seen a pig track there myself but a friend of mine killed two of them there. I think that is shotgun only, so check it out first.

Sad reality is that more pigs are shot on private lands in California than public. That's why I guided on private land. But I had more FUN hunting public land. I really liked the Laguna Mountain BLM place near you. Also Fort Hunter Ligget and Camp Roberts.

T-C

1 - 5 of 5 Posts