Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I'm a new guy here and I have a question about the mounting of a Williams sight on a Marlin 336.

Looking at this gun listed on GunBroker and need to know if the Williams sight bolts to existing factory drilled holes, or did a previous owner have to drill and tap to mount this sight.

The listing agent has no idea and I don't want to bid on a rifle that has non factory holes drilled into it.

Here are a couple of pictures showing the rifle I am referring to.

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Gun accessory

Revolver

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
If my memory is correct the 336 had 2 small holes drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver for mounting peep sights ---I think a Lyman 66 also fits . Yes they were factory drilled and tapped

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Yes, factory drilled and fits like a glove.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Same set up on my Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag. You can also unscrew the aperture hood to make it a larger ghost ring for hunting. Leave the disc in for target work.

CD

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
At some point the holes on the side went away and they started making sights that used the scope mount screws. That rifle is drilled and tapped for a scope. I cannot imagine someone having it drilled and tapped when all they would have to do is buy the right sight. That being said it is possible that it was not drilled and tapped there from the factory but it is not likely. Either way I would not sweat it if it was done professionally.

·
Super Moderator
11,176 Posts
At some point the holes on the side went away and they started making sights that used the scope mount screws. That rifle is drilled and tapped for a scope. I cannot imagine someone having it drilled and tapped when all they would have to do is buy the right sight. That being said it is possible that it was not drilled and tapped there from the factory but it is not likely. Either way I would not sweat it if it was done professionally.
Yes---Some were not drilled on the side. What I have found is that on some of my own Marlins where I used a Williams sight that was a top receiver mount it tends to raise the rear height (this is at it's lowest position) which requires you to install a higher front sight in order to get a 50 yrd point of aim zero with the rear sight all the way down. On the side mount where I used a Lyman I was able to get away with not having to install a higher front sight blade.

Reactions: 256WinMag

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Cowboy23 is 100% correct. I put a Williams WGRS I think it is called, on my 38-55 that had no holes on the side of the receiver. It required a taller front sight, which I had the ability and tools to make. I have several Lyman and Williams peeps on other Marlins, but really prefer the WGRS and may change all of mine out. It is probably less labor and $ intensive to order a new front sight. Your rifle probably had the holes on the side of the receiver pre drilled as most do.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well, I ended up backing down from that particular Marlin, another bidder was determined to win it ..... so I backed down before it got stupid.

I ended up spending slightly more for a 1978 336C that appears to be bone stock and looks to be in very good condition, a closet queen you could say.

Will see, come the middle of next week.

Thanks again for all the help!

·
Administrator
23,825 Posts
Get it but make sure you use it. Closet Queens never go to the dance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.