Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I had a gun I put up for trade on a local forum and I had a gentleman offer me what he called a Marlin West Point commemorative?? I have never heard of one and am wondering what exactly he means I will post the email I recieved..........

might can work a trade for a marlin 30/30, it is brand new, unfired
with box. i have some ammo and can also do some reasonable boot or
more ammo. it is a westpoint special edition commemorative

Any info is appreciated thanks!!! ... Outlaw

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
West Point was a "house brand" of Cotter and Company of Chicago. You may know them today as True Value hardware stores. They were made by Marlin from 1966 to 1970. It's basically a Marlin/Glenfield 30A with walnut stocks. 7,289 were made. Cotter and Company may have had a "special" badged edition, but there is not really anything special about them. Still, it's a 30A, so probably not a bad deal.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! When he said new it threw me off and I was under the impression it was a non JM made and was a remlin, thank you for clearing that up for me if the deals is right I will do the trade

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Actually, they are indeed JM stamped. 1 correction: they are like a Glenfield 30A, not a 336C, but with walnut stocks. So fore-end cap, and dovetailed front sight behind the front barrel band. They are marked "WESTPOINT Model 33".

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He said it's still in the box basically new, what would the value of this gun be?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Oh that's a GA-30. (30-30 cal) These are a little newer and were made in 1990. (Serial starts with 10) Being made after 1983, these have the hammer block safety. $350 maybe $400 is what I'd pay for one. (Dallas pricing)

He's probably going to say: "No no no, this is a West Point. The thinnest water-resistant lever-action rifle in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Connecticut and water-resistant to three atmospheres. This is THE sport's rifle of the eighties. 6955 Dollars retail. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome and Staad."

Tell him, in Allen, it's worth three hundred and fifty bucks.

In Philadelphia.JPG

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it's less desirable? Is it a good rifle or would you suggest passing on it?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
No, I'd buy it. Quickly. A like-new Marlin 30AS? (That GA-30 is basically a 30AS) That's a pretty good rifle. In fact, I'm thinking of buying a EMN-740A, which is pretty much a 30A.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 1969 vintage Westpoint 33 - a hardware store in Broken Bow, OK used to sell them and there were a few around SE Oklahoma. I really like it - mine came from a gun show in Oklahoma City about 15 years ago. I love the dark, plain, oil finished stock, thin forearm with end cap, flat-top rear sight and bead front sight. I have thought about using mine to rebarrel to .25-35 with a slow twist for shooting 75 grain bullets.

Cedar Creek

1 - 12 of 12 Posts