Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, I'm a 1895 45-70 shooter that is desperately wanting to enter into the 336 30-30 family. I am curious about some things as I look for a really nice one on-line.....and couldn't find the distinction in Six_Gunz definitive thread on the topic. First, when and what models did Marlin make the 336 with the black (with white lines) caps on the pistol grip and butt stock? Second, did any of those models come with checkering? Lastly, which model was Marlin's "high-end" version of the 336?

Thoughts please,
Matthew

·
Registered
797 Posts
Matthew,
I came over to the 30-30 - .35 side of the 336 aslo from the 1895 45-70 guide gun. Hunted and killed a lot of game with it.
You'll love a 336 in 30-30 Win.
I'm not sure but I believe it was mid 50's when the grip cap with white line spacer came out. The white line spacer in the butt plate was before it.
The model 336 ADL was checkered, and was Marlins high end version. I believe it started in the early 50's.

I hope somebody corrects me if I'm wrong on the dates, but I believe I'm close.

It's good you mentioned Six_Gunz's thread, and that he is still remembered here. He passed a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
109 Posts
They started checkering the 336C,then known as the CS,in 1995 retaining the white line spacers which they changed to black sometime between 1995 and 1999.

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Model 336s started to be produced with the white spacer for the butt pad and grip cap around 1955. From that time--several different models were produced. The 336A with 24 inch barrel and no barrel bands. The 336SC with the 20 inch barrel and no barrel bands. The 336RC/336 (with no letter)--the 20 inch barreled two banded carbine. The white spacers were dropped sometime in the 1980s--possibly about the time that the CBS came out in 1983. The higher end checkered wood models were the ADL--24 inch version like the A model but with the checkering and later models had a semi-Monte Carlo stock. And the SDL--checkered version of the SC model. There are probably others that I am missing here. I think Marlin began regularly checkering the stocks on the 336s sometime in the 1980s--probably around the time of the CBS introduction.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Matt:

If you want to look at CURRENT models, you can visit the Marlin home page and select the 336 series from the menu. That will give you a list of the current models available and a breakdown of the features of each model. If you want to find out which models are available for sale in your area you can use Galleryofguns.com, enter Marlin as Mgr, and fill in the other categories. You must enter your zip code so the program can search its Database and provide a list of what is available. There are a number of websites that have both new and used for sale by dealers and individuals. Gunbroker.com is a ligit website that you can find pretty much any gun
that is currently For Sale on their website; which is extensive.

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
12,016 Posts
Matthew,
It's good you mentioned Six_Gunz's thread, and that he is still remembered here. He passed a couple of years ago.
Steve will always be remembered here...................

Tom

Reactions: Eli Chaps

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you friends, I'm currently looking at a few on-line and find myself drawn to the 336CS. I will not get anything of collector value as mine will go to my smithy for customizing it specifically for what I want and to be refinished completely.

Many thanks for the advice and counsel,
M

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
While on the subject of early 336 and very late 36 production one item to be careful of. Some barrels marked as D for deluxe were placed onto A model rifles. Common to see A models (standard non checkered stocks) with D marked barrels, being advertised and sold as Deluxe models. Have also found early A models, converted over to something resembling a 336SC, that also have the now chopped D marked barrels being advertised as 336SC Deluxe. Buyer beware.

Reactions: 336 Fan
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.