Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An LGS I was in today had a Cowboy model 336. A JM Marlin made in 1995. It looked pretty nice, with two exceptions. The buttstock and the forend stock don't match, so at least one of them must be a replacement. Also, the action is not smooth. Specifically, the lever doesn't want to close. It hangs up pretty bad. I held down the hammer with my thumb, and that's not the problem. I think it must be the ejector.

I didn't have any oil to put on it, so I don't know if that would do the trick.

I'm just wondering if this rifle may have been sort of a salvage project, and someone cobbled together a Marlin with a bunch of parts. Maybe it didn't work so they sold it.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Could be the locking bolt needs a little polishing on the sides, I have a 336 that when I bought it the lever wouldn't close all the way and it ended up being the locking bolt,oil didn't help at all,it was so tight it took some force to get it up into the receiver,I polished the sides of it with a buffing wheel and now it's slick as snot.

·
Registered
969 Posts
An LGS I was in today had a Cowboy model 336. A JM Marlin made in 1995. It looked pretty nice, with two exceptions. The buttstock and the forend stock don't match, so at least one of them must be a replacement. Also, the action is not smooth. Specifically, the lever doesn't want to close. It hangs up pretty bad. I held down the hammer with my thumb, and that's not the problem. I think it must be the ejector.

I didn't have any oil to put on it, so I don't know if that would do the trick.

I'm just wondering if this rifle may have been sort of a salvage project, and someone cobbled together a Marlin with a bunch of parts. Maybe it didn't work so they sold it.
So what is your interest in this rifle? I take it for granted you want it, but aren't sure about it based upon the asking price and your doubts regarding its origins. So lay all this out to the seller and get down to a price you're willing to pay and then go have some fun getting it into shape. Isn't that the real bottom line here? :hmmmm:

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Possible to post pics of stocks? Might just be re-assembled wrong/damaged because of wrong re-assembly? Is seller asking cheap enough price to make it worth the "gamble"? Most parts for it should be readily available shouldn't they?

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, just curiosity about what's wrong with it. I was surprised that such a nice looking JM Marlin has an action with a problem.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the price is right and there are no other obvious issues, sounds like you need to go back and get it. Could be as simple as the extractor.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you be more specific on "doesn't want to close"? Does that mean from the full forward position, the last little bit, or...?
If you open the lever fully, and then try to close it, you meet with resistance almost immediately. After playing around a bit with mine at home, I'm pretty sure it's the extractor that it's hanging up on. It may just need some lube.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sure sounds like a "Remlin" to me?, I've seen them right out of the box that way!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yo dude didn't see the part about its an 1995.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
It could be the scope mount plug screws as well. If they are run down too far they will rub against the bolt making it not want to do right.

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
It could be the scope mount plug screws as well. If they are run down too far they will rub against the bolt making it not want to do right.
Might also be the previous owner tried to chamber a reloaded cartridge that was too long or incorrect caliber cartridge..forced the lever.......and tweeked/bent the lever's "bolt actuator"?

It very possibly could be * very easy to fix*

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So is it a "Cowboy" or a "Texan"?, they're not the same thing, and the serial starts with 05?
Nope, I mis-spoke. Was curious and went back and looked at it again. A Texan in 30-30 from 1980. The forearm appears to be original, but the buttstock is a recent replacement. Someone bought a new walnut Marlin buttstock, put it on and made no attempt at all to match the finishes. This rifle must have been severely damaged somehow. There are places on the otherwise nicely preserved blued receiver that are scuffed. Also, the bluing on the barrel under and around the barrel band that holds the forend stock is all scuffed up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts