Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m talking with a fella on another forum I’m on about buying some 32-20 ammo he has. What I’m trying to figure out is, he’s got a box of 32-20 loaded with 170grain bullets. I’ve never heard of anyone loading that heavy of a projectile in the 32-20 and was curious if anyone here has seen or done it before? Is this some sort of wildcat based off of the 32-20 or is this just a hand load someone created because they wanted to see what would happen if they cramed a big ol 170gr pill into the little 32-20 case?
Plant Font Wood Material property Rectangle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,405 Posts
I suspect they are 32 Winchester Special, rather than 32-20 WCF.
The bullet weight is way too heavy for the 32-20. 170 grains is a standard weight for the 32 Special

· Registered
2,405 Posts
Didn't see your photos prior to my last post.
That is a 32-20 case all right, but I doubt it will chamber in your rifle. Looks like a poor effort at loading an extra heavy bullet in that case. Case is deformed by the bullet as pushing that large projectile that deep has done away with the neck, and is decidedly non concentric. I doubt it will chamber in a standard 32-20 chamber

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That what I was thinking as well. He’s asking a price that’s hard to pass for the lot of ammo I’m wanting, so I’ll probably get them and just pull the bullets and save the brass.

· Registered
2,765 Posts
So I’m talking with a fella on another forum I’m on about buying some 32-20 ammo he has. What I’m trying to figure out is, he’s got a box of 32-20 loaded with 170grain bullets. I’ve never heard of anyone loading that heavy of a projectile in the 32-20 and was curious if anyone here has seen or done it before? Is this some sort of wildcat based off of the 32-20 or is this just a hand load someone created because they wanted to see what would happen if they cramed a big ol 170gr pill into the little 32-20 case? View attachment 907683

IHMSA Big Bore pistol silhouette load for the 200 meter rams. A Contender or other single shot pistol load. It looks a little long to cycle through a lever action. It may also be a 32-30 using a .308" bullet and groove barrel. The selection of bullets is much larger in .308".

For me, I use a 30 carbine with a 175 gr cast GC bullet for off hand with iron sights at 200 meters.

You only need a sight with plenty of elevation adjustment.

· Registered
150 Posts
It appears from the photo you posted that the ammo in question is 32 20 WCF that’s been converted to 32 Winchester Self Loader ammo.

32 WSL Wiki:

Make sure you get measurements of the case rim and near the head of the cartridge to insure that it hasn’t been thinned to support use in the Winchester Model 1905 self loader (if so, it’s likely that it will no longer function in a 32 20 as the cartridges are not interchangeable).

Here’s the wiki for the 32/20:

Note the dimensional differences.

Keep in mind that just about any jacketed bullet of 170 grains (as pictured in your photo) in 32 caliber will be .321 diameter vice the .312 diameter of the 32/20.

Here’s a link to Buffalo Arms website showing 32 WSL ammo the convert from 32/20.

Make sure you know what your getting because if your buying this ammo to break down and use as components for the 32/20 they may not work.

· Super Moderator
26,502 Posts
32 Win SPL jacketed bullet = .321 inches. 32-20 jacketed bullet = .312 inches. If those are 32 Win SPL bullets, run away fast.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also thought it could be the 32 SL. Either way its only 20 rounds in a lot about 300 rounds of ammo I’m buying. If I can’t use it, I’ll pass it along to someone else or just sit it in the closet. For the price I’m getting the lot I’m not gonna turn it down

· Registered
2,765 Posts
If it is 32-20 why does the label say it was "Formed" from new 32-20 brass.

REK
32-30 is my guess based on the information available. Have you ever seen a jacketed bullet in that weight or ogive in .310" diameter? The 32-20 groove diameter is the same groove as the 7.62x39. Formed from the 32-20 is one key. The bullet is the second.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts