Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen bags of Winchester 38-55 new unprimed brass from time to time, is that the shorter brass or the longer brass? Was afraid to buy any because I didn't know!! I'm waiting on Starline to run some, but in the meantime if I come across any more Winchester stuff...:biggrin:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mazer-------generally Winnie brass will be the shorter brass---ifin ya loading for a Marlin & having to load .379 or bigger diam cast bullet it's a hit or miss thing whether the Winnie brass will chamber-----bought a bunch of em last summer-(500)--over half wouldn't chamber---luckily I also have a H&R 1871 that they fit right in!!!----don't know if it was just the bunch I bought or what but length of em varied to 4 different lengths----bought a bunch o Starline----they all measure same length--for heck of weighed em all weighed same----chambering problem went away------.379 's shoot o.k. in my 336 but .380's tighten groups up considerably!-----SO--I'm strictly Winnies for my H&R ---Starline for my 336!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks dirty low down, thanks for clearing that up...new it too easy, figures all I can find around here is the Winchester stuff! Guess I'll just wait for the Starline brass! One of the MO members kindly sent me some to start with so I'm good to go for now!

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
mazer - As DLD indicated Winchester brass is the same length as Starline's "short" brass. As you know Starline makes two lengths of 38-55. Their "long" brass seems to be more in demand, however, I enjoyed some degree of success with Winchester's brass. Shenandoah

Reactions: Plano and JBledsoe

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Hey Mazer,

The Starline long brass is 2.125 inches. The Starline short and the Winchester brass is 2.085. Then there is the 375 Win brass that is 2.020 but that is a different cartridge and is not interchangeable with 38-55. The Winchester brass is the original length and SAAMI specification brass, it works very well in my Marlin CB's so the Winchester 2.085 sees a lot of use in my rifles.

The advantage of the long brass from Starline is that it can be tailored to lengths between the long (2.125) and the short (2.085) as necessary for improved accuracy. Some rifles like the bullet closer to the lands than can be done with the short brass. The reason that the Starline long is more popular.......it can be trimmed to custom length or used as is.

Jim

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm having good results in my old 1893 using only Winchester brass, but I don't have anything else to compare it to. I put in an order for starline but wasn't sure if I should get long or short... makes sense to get long since I can always trim it.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Any problem I was having with the Winchester brass and there wasn't that many was solved by buying the RCBS Cowboy dies. eh

Reactions: JBledsoe

·
Registered
128 Posts
any one want to split a order

I would like to ask any one here would like to split up a order on 250 pieces of brass
I can use 75 rounds no need for 250 rounds
long would be my choice 2.125

1 - 8 of 8 Posts