Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Marlin was known for building a quality "working" gun. Nothing real fancy, but dependable right out of the box. The two older 1894s I have here are good examples from what used to be "America's Favorite Rifle" maker. Good solid, well built firearms that will last the user a lifetime and his kid's lifetimes as well.

Boy, did Remington lose the bubble in a big way...

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Yup.................But then, they never could recognize a bubble, even if it popped on their nose.........
They made their bed.............................Let'em lay in it............

Tom

·
Registered
68 Posts
Remington used to be my favorite rifle maker until one of their company policies caused me to stop buying from them . I've had Marlins for years and still use one that is older than I am but they soured me on their ablities when I bought one of the first 1894cl rifles with an out of round chamber .

Like the man said .......... let 'em lay in it , it will take a very long time for me to buy anything they make unless I can try it out first .

Jack

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
In case you have not heard Remington has negotiated with the big sporting goods chains to NOT SELL MARLINS because they compete against the Remington brand. Talk about some screwed up marketing management! Maybe that is a different reason that Remington is destroying the Marlin name? Would you put it past those imbeciles to destroy Marlin by buying it, making awful guns, and then shut the Marlin manufacturing down due to lost revenue?

Wouldn't surprise me . . . . .

GB45

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First I've heard of that one GB45.

I have known of companies buying out the competition which had a better product just to rob them of their intellectual property and close them down to kill the competition though. But the only way that Marlin was competing with Remington was on bolt guns and some rimfires. I knew the XL/XS 7 are good guns, but I don't think they were giving the Rem 700 that much competition.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
I knew the XL/XS 7 are good guns, but I don't think they were giving the Rem 700 that much competition.
But the fact is that Remington has in fact dealt the Marlin XL/XS market out of the big chain stores for that exact reason - they felt the Marlins were taking away from the Remington sales. Remember that Remington is dealing with a lot of bad press on the "700's" and the AUTO FIRE issues whether you believe it is true or not. I only own one Remington - a 2004 Remington 700 VSSF Target Rifle in .223 that has no problems putting tiny holes in target centers at long distances . . .

However - it is probably the ONLY Remington rifle I will own - and I may even trade/sell it for a Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 because I trust the Savage brand quality better and I like the laminated thumbhole stock better.

GB45

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GB45 , the problem I see with that is that Remington also makes the Marlin XS/XL 7. It would be much simpler and easier for them to just quit making them which is something that I've been halfway expecting if the Marlin bolt gun sales were cutting into Rem 700 sales. Nothing says that Remington has to continue to produce any Marlin.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
The "older" stuff, condition considered, is selling for a premium. You know there is a good reason for that!

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
i remember awhile back one of our members wrote Remington a letter on Marlin quality.What was thier response

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of the responses I've heard is that they're retooling. Sure takes them a long time to retool.

·
Registered
901 Posts
44-40 Willy said:
Most of the responses I've heard is that they're retooling. Sure takes them a long time to retool.
That's "Doublespeak" for we don't have anybody that knows how to take care of,repair, or adjust the machines properly that we got from Marlin. So, we have to find CNC's or other Equipment that we can adapt each part of the machining process.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Golfbuddy45 said:
In case you have not heard Remington has negotiated with the big sporting goods chains to NOT SELL MARLINS because they compete against the Remington brand. Talk about some screwed up marketing management! Maybe that is a different reason that Remington is destroying the Marlin name? Would you put it past those imbeciles to destroy Marlin by buying it, making awful guns, and then shut the Marlin manufacturing down due to lost revenue?

Wouldn't surprise me . . . . .

GB45
GB45, I brought up that very point when we were bought. Then again when we were told we would be TERMINATED. All they wanted was the drawings, machines, and fixtures to manipulate whatever abortion of a product they were going to produce.

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
Hey KON,

I presume you are now past your "TERMINATION LETTER AGREEMENT" now that you have begun SPEAKING on these topics?

GB45

·
Registered
901 Posts
Nope, but their checks cleared back in April. ;D No Lawyers have called or written me yet.
I think they have BIGGER PROBLEMS than me shooting off my big mouth.

·
Banned
1,882 Posts
I think we have definitely lost quality; I noticed big issues with quality on my vintage 97' 336.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hi Guys. I am mostly on the Team 444 page. I am currently trying to get into Gunsmithing School, and right now, have begun a Major redesign of the Marlin rifle itself. I posted a thread on the Team 444 page asking for suggestions or ideas, but it is open to anyone. Feel free to offer your suggestions on there. Currently I am working on an increased size model for a few reasons, but There would be some others, including a standard and possibly short models.

My hope is that once out of School, I can eventually produce these new receivers myself. IF I could ever do it, I would start a company around it, possibly calling it "New Marlin Arms", and procede to tell remington where to shove it. Again, it is open to anyone, any suggestion, so feel free to stop by on the Team 444 page and post under my thread.

Best wishes in sedition against the lawyers trying to destroy our treasured classics.

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I have heard from a very good source that the rejection rate is at 50% comming off the line. that coupled with all the problems that make it out the door God only knows what the real % is. One thing I don't think any of the college bean counters figured on was quality workmanship. You had guys that had been putting together rifles for years. Anyone can read a manual and monkey one together, but a craftsman puts them together by feel. Those guys could cycle an action and feel where the problems were, hone or file put it back together cycle it and feel if it was right. That comes from years of experience. Some kid that wears his hat backwards who had two weeks training and read the manual isn't a craftsman. You can't fix something if you don't understand it.

The sad part is that people that didn't know their six from a hole in the ground, destroyed a good company, put a lot of good people out of work........all to make a few bucks.....wonder how that is working out for them ::)

·
Registered
426 Posts
The sad part is that people that didn't know their six from a hole in the ground, destroyed a good company, put a lot of good people out of work........all to make a few bucks.....wonder how that is working out for them
Yep!!! ;D

Lonerider

1 - 20 of 20 Posts