Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have had some time to look over both my new to me M-336's I have noticed the fitting and assembly is much better on the 1973 model. The newer one is a 2003 model so they are 30yrs apart. The wood on the 73 is walnut and looks good with the trim. The 03 has no trim and is birch or some lighter color wood. Nothing stays the same I guess. :)

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Things definitely do not stay the same 4Charlie but the fact that your particular '03 336 sports the birch stock doesn't mean that Marlin didn't still offer them on certain models that year and right on down through their demise/purchase by Remington. Certain models, 336RC for instance still came equipped w/walnut stocks and the trim you speak of like grip caps and bullseye in the buttstock in '03 and right on down to the end. Probably they still do although I can't say for certain but if you handle a newly mfg. "Remlin", then you'd really notice the difference in fit & finish if some of the reports that have shown up here are any indication. The birch stocks have been around a long time on some models to make them available for a little less money to those to whom such things didn't matter. In fact some even prefer the birch I believe. Yours is a nice looking rifle anyway so enjoy it for what it is or trade up when the oppurtunity presents itself. ;)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DRYPOWDER said:
Things definitely do not stay the same 4Charlie but the fact that your particular '03 336 sports the birch stock doesn't mean that Marlin didn't still offer them on certain models that year and right on down through their demise/purchase by Remington. Certain models, 336RC for instance still came equipped w/walnut stocks and the trim you speak of like grip caps and bullseye in the buttstock in '03 and right on down to the end. Probably they still do although I can't say for certain but if you handle a newly mfg. "Remlin", then you'd really notice the difference in fit & finish if some of the reports that have shown up here are any indication. The birch stocks have been around a long time on some models to make them available for a little less money to those to whom such things didn't matter. In fact some even prefer the birch I believe. Yours is a nice looking rifle anyway so enjoy it for what it is or trade up when the oppurtunity presents itself. ;)

Thanks DRYPOWDER for a little history on the two I have. I am a new-B to Marlins and have a lot to learn. I just hope that they both are good shooters. I waiting on a new scope and then I'll be ready to take them both to the range. Both these two are going to have to earn their keep come hunting season. Me and my one daughter are going after pigs come October... ;D

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
You are comparing apples and oranges. The 336C has a walnut stock and all the nice trim, the other 336 is an A or W, I don't remember which is which Marlin changed them a lot, with the cheaper birch stock and no niceties. Nothing wrong with the gun, it's just the lower priced version.

·
Premium Member
9,465 Posts
The birch stocked Marlin in the picture is a 336W. It has the barrel band at the front of the forend. The new birch stocked 336A's have a forend cap.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to have to get that Marlin book I seen that has the history of the company in it. Thanks gents for all the info.. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts