Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Riflemen:

Thought I'd suggest as a reminder how appropriate the starling is for a challenging target. My 880SQ and Remington 572 are kept warm by firing on these destructive vermin and I'm hoping I can encourage some new shooters to get into the action. Our native song birds - especially the blue birds - will be helped greatly by every starling killed.

This morning I took one off a blue bird nesting box that is currently being used with the 880SQ and a Remington Eley Target Rifle round. A short time later I noticed a large flock in our meadow so I loaded up my Mossberg Turkey Special with some 3" Turkey Load # 6's. Surprisingly, the flock allowed me to get reasonably close before lifting off and I cut loose with two rds. They dropped like flies and as the rest of the flock flew away birds were falling out for 10 seconds later. The flocks are made up primarily of young birds with their parents. I wish I had brought a couple more rounds because much of the flock returned to assist the wounded birds running around on the ground. What a group shot they presented. I know I had at least 18 - 20 down at the shoot sight and I have no idea how many fell out as the flock flew away. Too bad I wasn't able to get closer.

In this country - north central New York - the starlings begin to group early. As some of you know from the old Marlin Talk BB, we're very fond of birds at our place and have devoted much property to the blue birds. We have 14 nesting boxes just for them. Protection of the rookery keeps me busy with the starlings, feral cats, red squirrels, and *****. I know from past post that many take advantage of starlings as targets and I'm trying to encourage those who haven't shot them to start. Although they are not protected in most states PLEASE CHECK YOUR GAME LAWS! And I must admit that as far as the laws in Canada go relative to starlings I'm totally ignorant so you Canadian riflemen will have to check if you don't already know.

Starlings are a non-native species and are very damaging to our native birds. I don't want you guys to think that I'm some blood-thirsty shooter. I'm just a shooter who recognizes a opportunity for our sport to help our environment.

GOOD SHOOTING TO ALL! Thanks guys. :D Range Finder

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have to wonder how these birds afford you the opportunity to shoot at them without the possibility of slinging led off into the wild blue yonder. Around these parts, the only place I see starlings is sitting on telephone lines or sometimes pecking around in the yard. Neither case would allow safe shooting.

I never see these birds when I'm up in the woods where plinking them might be possible; they seem to like to hang around urban areas.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
magooch:

The lay of the land on our property affords outstanding shooting opportunities for the starlings. First, we live out in the country and our house & barn lies between two woodlots and is surrounded by hills on three sides.

Secondly, they land on our blue bird nesting boxes which all - with the exception of two - are situated at a level lower than our house thereby providing backstops, the hills, which would stop anything. We have nearly 3 acres of lawn which the starlings are always on feeding, as well as on our bird feeders which from the angle of our house have hills for back stops.

When starlings land in tree tops or on wires I simply do not shoot. There is no need too because these varmits are on the ground under birdfeeders and suiet holders and on nesting boxes. Naturally, safety is always our first consideration. Remember, we kill deer on my property about every year and hunt turkeys and coyotes here as well. Thats how rural/remote we are.

GOOD SHOOTING! :) Range Finder

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
A piece of PVC pipe is a great attractant for starlings! Simply cut a piece 5-6 ft long, of 3-4" diameter, then lean it against a good backstop, standing up. The starlings can't stay away for some reason. When they land on top to investigate, just plug 'em with your gun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts