Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a 1895 xlr and was researching some reloading equilment for it. I was thinking of getting the lee dies with the lyman expander. Any suggestions for which dies you would use and why. Only familiar with lee and rcbs.

Also was looking for different bullets. Maybe one for deer and one for elk and moose. Or maybe just an all around bullet that can do it all. How's the 350 grain RD? Also thinking about the LE FTX bullet.

Reactions: XMAN

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Dang, I thought you were "ready to play... centerfield" (oh wait, your not John Fogerty...LOL)
I use the Lee dies with the Lyman "M" die for expanding but if I had to chose again I would get the RCBS Cowboy dies and the Lyman "M" die... The cowboy dies were made for lead boolits.

Doc

·
Registered
953 Posts
I shoot nothing but lead bullets from my Guide Gun and use Lee dies. I've never used the Lyman "M" die. I size my bullets to .460 and don't have a problem with the expander that came with the Lee dies. I would get the Lee Factory Crimp Die though.

As far as the bullets you mentioned, The RD 350 would be my choice. I like the RD 425 better. I wouldn't use the LE bullet. They are for thin skinned, small bone animals.
Pick one good Cast bullet for all your hunting needs. That way you don't have to re-sight your rifle for different loads.

Key

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bumper Shotgun Automotive exterior Auto part

Here she is. Love it so much. Action is so smooth. Not crazy about the sights though. Definitely getting replaced. Best part of all I got it for $850.

Reactions: Squirrel Dover
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.