Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded for this 99E .308 a while back and it came with a cheap Simmons scope. It had to go. So I searched for a Weaver steel body and found this 2x7x35 on ebay. Got it for $56.00. I dug thru my box of rings and came up with a nice set of blued steel Leupold rings and put it all together. It looks like they were made for each other and the scope is extremely clear and bright. Now I just need time to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
26,229 Posts
Lookin' good! I have old Weavers and Redfields on my Savage 99s. Vintage scopes go great with a vintage levergun.

·
Premium Member
4,992 Posts
Those 99's y'all keep showing off are growing on me. When was the last year for ths 99?

Reactions: Ret_Eng

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Good looking rig. I have Weavers & Redfields on several rifles that have been on them since bought new in 60s. The new scopes are
to Modern looking to put on a classic rifle. I have been selling off quite a few of my hunting rifles and taking the scopes off them. When
reusing these older scopes that have not been adjusted for years you should be careful cranking adjustments. I take a wooden dowel
and gently tap tube around adjustments. That seems to free them up.

·
Super Moderator
26,229 Posts
Those 99's y'all keep showing off are growing on me. When was the last year for ths 99?
I believe the last of the original run of Savage 99s were made in Spain during the early 1980s due to high production costs. The 99 has been brought back several times since then on a limited production run basis due to those same high production costs.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
Handsome shootin' iron.

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
I folded up in 1992. At that time Savage was flailing around with bankruptcy. I didn't sell that many 99s, most of the ones I got in
were trades. I got to the point that I didn't stock any and would only order them for Good customers after warning them of Savage
situation. The last 99s and the 24 223/12g were terrible. I ordered in several of the 24s, guys buying them for turkey. Everyone of
them had problems. Savage CS was nonexistent and they weren't paying the Smiths that were doing warranty repairs. They werent
sending support parts either. The 99s I sold new were all 243 & 308 detachable mags. These rifles shot decent but fit and finish were
terrible. One of the big Dist. had clearance on 99s in 375Win. [email protected], I wish I had bought some to squirrel away. I'm not a 99 expert
so I carry a Pocket book with me. I don't know the point when quality started down hill, I would say in 80s? My buddies dad had a
99 in 308, bought in early 70s that fit & finish & wood was beautiful. The 99s are nice rifles and they were sleepers until they stopped
making them. At that time Win 94s( post 64), Marlin 336 and 99s used were in $100 range. The bulk of deer rifle sales back then was
Rem pump & autos and they weren't 1/2 the rifle of the 99.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.