Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MVA 108 on my 1895CB and I haven't shot it much yet, should I add an MVA base to the 336CB in 38-55? I'm considering it, might add a #107 afterwards as well, depending on how much I shoot it! I'm thinking of going for it, it would of course mean adding another Lyman sight as well (oh shucks! ), do you guys think its worth the added expense to have the ability of a tang sight on BOTH rifles? Or is the one enough! Do you find that you just shoot ONE and not the other, so the expense was wasted? Guess I just need a nudge in one direction or the other! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That's a dangerous question to ask a bunch of enablers.

One is NEVER enough.

B

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey Mazer,

Plan A. (for me) is to get two bases, and one #108 staff. Install bases on the 1895 CB and the 336 CB (38-55). Keep notebook with sight settings, with each rifle.

(would be done, but got "distracted" http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/handguns/135621-45-lc-capers.html ) LOL

Need to build up my "goody" fund. LOL

Later, Mark

Reactions: bbri4570

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha! Well, I think one will do since I already have the complete setup on the 1895cb....at least the 44-40 doesn't need one right?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am getting close to doing the same, only I am going to use the #100 Soule. I have the #101 on my Rolling Block and it is just incredible. I now need to start looking for Wind's thread (that I read many moons ago) on how to correctly install the MVA.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TB I have my local gunsmith do that! It needs to be exactly in the right place so the bolt clears it. I ordered another base and a globe sight for the 1895cb, I LOVE it on my sharps and want to try it on the 1895.

·
Registered
423 Posts
TB I have my local gunsmith do that! It needs to be exactly in the right place so the bolt clears it. I ordered another base and a globe sight for the 1895cb, I LOVE it on my sharps and want to try it on the 1895.
I wish I had a gunsmith I could trust to do it! Every tang sight I have on rifles I have purchased have been crooked! Even the high dollar Higginbotham, which has the MVA #101, was done by Dave Higginbotham (a renowned rolling block gunsmith) and it is not straight!

Reactions: SgtDog0311

·
Registered
676 Posts
TB when you say crooked do you mean from back to front of the base or do you mean the staff is tilted in one direction or the other? If it's the base you may have just enough wiggle room in the screw holes to square it up. If it's tilted shim which ever side of the base that needs it. With the help of a local machinist I have drilled 3 rifles and they have all turned out good, if I can most everybody can.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Of course you need a base on the 38-55 too!:biggrin:

I started out with one MVA 108 sight shared between two rifles. It is only a minor nuisance to switch it back and forth.

Now I am at two sights and have sight bases on three rifles......:hmmmm:

·
Registered
423 Posts
TB when you say crooked do you mean from back to front of the base or do you mean the staff is tilted in one direction or the other? If it's the base you may have just enough wiggle room in the screw holes to square it up. If it's tilted shim which ever side of the base that needs it. With the help of a local machinist I have drilled 3 rifles and they have all turned out good, if I can most everybody can.
dag... On the MVA the base is not centered on the tang. While it is not off a great deal you can discern it with your eye. The result puts the windage adjustment at 100 yards quite a bit off center to achieve center. The nice part of the MVA Soule is that it gives me this fine adjustment.

I think it is time to go to gunsmithing school! After all, what else to have to do at my age and... we have a fine school in here in Trinidad Colorado, quite well known.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
I think I'm going to put bases on my highwall and my 93. It just feels like everything with a octagon barrel needs a tang sight.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Post a picture of the 1885 when you get the base on it. Since the 1885 high wall Browning has no tang, I am interested to see how it is mounted. I placed a call to Browning yesterday, may send my high wall in to get a dovetail milled in the barrel. Like I said before there is no gunsmith here I would trust.

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
TB, I spotted that before I purchased my winchester. Even though the Brownings and winchesters are pretty much the same gun there are some minor differences. My winchester has a tang with a sight already on it. I just don't much care for the factory model. Mva already knew the hole spacing.

image.jpg image.jpg
Disregard the mauser photo, I can't figure out how to get rid of it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I did not know that the Winchester had a tang on it. I will have to look at pictures of the old 1885 high walls. I suspect they also had a tang.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Mazer -

FWIW - I ordered an MVA tang sight for my Mirochester 1885 last year and another base for my .38-55 336CB. The 1885 had a factory mounted Marble sight, so the two screws for the MVA base went right in. I also ordered the knurled knob from MVA to make it "easier" to remove the sight and eventually move it to the Marlin. But once the sight was on my 1885, it was a real pain to take off without unscrewing the entire base. So with the help of other already noted enablers on this forum, I ordered another MVA sight for the .38-55. I just got it back from a very knowledgeable gunsmith who drilled the holes and mounted the new sight. Hope to get to the range this weekend and zero it in for my first big match in early April! I was warned ahead of time that these tang sights just seem to multiply - :biggrin:

Cheers -

OVW

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mazer & Trinidad---I'm not familiar w/ the MVA sights ,but I did basically the same thing W/ Marbles new model tang sights on several of my rifles ! Marbles selling idea is to be able to change post for big distance changes---Midway sells em in pieces (not a packaged set up) so here we went------works out pretty good except for 1 little problem -----the Marbles post mounts in base w/ only 1 little set screw----they have a tendacy to loosen up on ya after 10 to 15 rounds-----ya gotta make shure ya take the little allen wrench w/ ya when ya go shooting----ain't telling how I know this likewise I ain't telling how I know that if ya hunker down too far w/ aiming a tang sigh it can hit ya in mouth during recoil---$1500 cap on front tooth now!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
So I'm a New guy.. I've got a few Marlins, Sharps, Rolling blocks and Chesters. They all have tang sights....
Some have Marble's, a couple with Lyman's and some with various Vernier type that adjust in both X and Z, or just Z.
I wouldn't put an X and Z adjustable tang site on a field rifle.. My Ballard was a match rifle and had X in front and X and Z in the back. The tremendous amount of adjustment was fantastic and for years keep me in the Master Class of BPCR. In the field I personally use a Z adjustable Tang Sight and MAYBE an X adjustable front sight... The rest is Kaintucky windage.. I don't go home empty handed during hunting season and shoot paper pretty good.
Oh... I've been shooting for 40 years and bought my first scope last year... Got good eyes I guess... Wearing out though:(
Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi revor! Welcome to the forums! We need to see some pics of your rifles...there are a lot of us here that shoot Sharps and long range lever action and it's always great to hear from the more experienced shooters! I'm still relatively new to this type of shooting but am loving it! So far I've got a Sharps and my Marlin CB in 45-70, a new 38-55marlincb and now a marlin 44-40cb :) I've been busy! Now it's time to shoot some though I think.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
I love a good tang sight. The Sharps has a Soule w/Hadley disk, but the 1893 and 1894 both sport Marbles w/Merit discs. I like the full aperture adjustment that the Merits have, but the Hadley works pretty good too.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Well boys and girls -- The original Winchester high walls had tangs and they were drilled and tapped from the factory for tang sights. Here's Dave shooting his at the H3 last year.

View attachment 96936

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

1 - 20 of 20 Posts