Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I had the big six out of my bronco to redo the oil pan gasket and rear main seal. after I got everything buttoned up I hooked it up to the hoist, up and over into the engine bay. I was a little nervous because I've done alot of automatics, just spin the converter on, three clicks, then slap the dowel pins on the back of the motor into the bellhousing. the manual tranny was kind of freakin me out, knowing I could not see if the splines would line up.

I can tell you right now the next time I will clean the splines on the input shaft. they were rusty and the inside spline of the clutch was rusty. I should have worked on that. I did put a little antiseize but that was to prevent them getting stuck when I remove the tranny which I need to to soon because I have a busted transfer case.

so anyway I finally got the motor stabbed, dowel pins in, bellhousing flush. I never use the bellhousing bolts to draw them together. anyhow I'm wiping the sweat off of my brow, glad I got it all in when I'm looking at the bottom of the tranny to put the starter on and thinking.....hmmm where's that flywheel cover?

then it dawned on me. Ford uses a motor plate. when I had the oil pan and timing cover off I had varsol'd everything to get it clean. I had cleaned the greasy sludgy black motor plate and then put it in the garage so the kids would'nt make a taco out of it. no problem I thought, just pull the motor back a little and slip it in between there. so I pull the motor back away from the tranny and get under there and I'm trying to hang it on there'and realize that that is not going to happen. I have to pull off the clutch and flywheel (which I had RTV'd the flywheel bolts and torqued to 80 ft lbs)

;D
so out it came and I took the flywheel off and put the motor plate on. the next time I stabbed it I had hell. I could not get the last couple inches, I even turned the crankshaft and tried to get it to come together. somehow I finally got it.
then I was paranoid that something was in a bind and trippin on that bigtime. I could turn the crankshaft in the front and hear something loading up so I considered pulling the tranny and redoing it but it passed with flying colors on a test drive, now I am constantly looking under it for oil leaks. so now I'm trying to get my brain back to obsessing on guns and hunting so I can get out of this car mindset.
:eek:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
You did well Mate. It's never easy when it's you first time.

Cheers,
Mark.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts