Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of buying one of the .22 spinner type metal targets, you know the ones that have four targets you shoot and apparently they turn sideways when you hit them. Then you shoot the fifth target and it resets all of them. Anyone have any experience with them? My questions are 1 Do they hold up, and two do they work well or not. Any particular brand better than the others? Birchwood Casey, Remington, suggestions please....Thanks in advance. Glen

·
Registered
244 Posts
hehe...can't talk to the rimfire one, but the one for centerfire pistols won't hold up to 45-70 or .223 at 100yds. I'm a cheapskate and the pistol one was 1/2 the price of the rifle one and the same thickness. Just about as thick as my skull :) didn't think about different metals, just thought, hey same thickness same thing, right? Wrong.

At 100yds hard cast 405's went right on through. 300gr "all rifle" loads put HUGE dents and knocked target over. 223 with 45gr fmj and 55 gr fmj went right through. 223 with ss109 (62gr w/steel rod in lead with fmj) that tumbles in my 1/12 twist dissy made neat bullet profile holes through it. All of that at 100yds and beyond.

Two good things came of this though. With those big 45 cal holes the target (which is now relegated to rimfire use) I have:
a: a lighter target, easier to carry
b: built in excuse, "hmm bill, seems that I didn't hear a ding on that shot, must have gone through one of the 45 holes."

These targets are a hoot. I highly recommend them. Zero in on the paper then have some fun. Unlike other "action" targets, you don't have a big mess to clean up on the range either. Make sure to buy some stick on orange dots though to replace the ones on the target when you shoot em up. They're way less expensive at Target or Officemax (avery labels) than they are at shooting stores. They lack the hash marks, but hey, who cares, orange dots are orange dots, eh?

R

G

·
You need a better backstop than most of us have to use one of those. You can get some really wild ricochets off the edges. I'd want some sort of a cave to put it in before I put mine back up.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I like the ones that hang from a cross bar & flip when you hit them, for the reason Leftoverdj gave. These direct the lead down into the ground.
I never gave it too much thought till I made my own spinners from old lawn mower blades. I flattened out the ends & painted them orange, drilled some 3/4" holes in one side to make it lighter (So they would hang vertical) & threaded a piece of rebar thru the center hole. They work great & spin like the dickens, only thing is if you shoot at the top (Above the rebar) the bullets go into orbit. I only shoot the bottoms now. :D

I also found that once the targets are coated with lead from being shot, the target dots didn't stick well. I paint them with flo orange spray paint.

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I have the hanging type that swing when hit. As Leverdude said, they are safer, and work well, as they don't ever need to be reset, and work well with any caliber. I made mine myself, (as I'm chesp) out of 3/8" steel plate, and 1/2" round stock. I welded pie on the back of the plate, near the top, and left most of the plate hanging below. This keeps the pipe from being hit by an errant shot, and damaged.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have one with three hanging plates of 1.5", 2", and 3.5" made of 1/4" steel plate. I've only shot at it with a .22LR at 50 yards and have had no problem with spatter. It sure is fun to try and keep the small disc spinning around continously. :D

Once made a swinging steel plate 6"X12"X 7/8" thick. At 100 yards, the .223 would make a big dent in the back of it and the 30-06 would go right through most of the time. The thing wouldn't even swing! :oops:

G

·
Sorry fellas........ but I laughed my arse off while reading the posts about these spinner targets. Not at what you all said about them but because I learned I wasn't the only one to shoot a hole right on through one. I'll tell ya's the story so maybe you can also have a laugh on me.

Bought a cheapy spinner that hung from a crossbar and just spins around when hit. The thing was intended just for .22 ammo. Set it at 50 yards and had at it with my Marlin 22. Had a great time for a while...... but then, as luck would have it, I also had my Savage 22-250 with me. Soooooooo..... seeing as how those things spun around so fast and nice when hit by the Marlin I figured I'd pop it with the 22-250 and make it spin like crazy. Touched off a round from the 22-250 and the spinner didn't even quiver so I figured I'd missed..... which had to be almost impossible..... then while still looking through the scope I noticed the neat hole punched straight through just left of center in that spinner.

One good thing though..... after shooting several hundred rounds at that same spinner I've managed to almost peen that hole shut.........

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the birchwood casey target for 22lr that spins and it has 3 different size targets....I set them at 25 yards from my front porch and they work great except they have to be turned every 100 rounds or so because they gradually warp....I also have a birchwood casey spinner for up to 44 mag for pistols and it works good also....I've also recently bought a resettable target that can handle up to 30.06 at 100 yards for my centerfire rifles.....I havent got to try it yet though....It was @ $75 from k-mart.com.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts