Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Purchased a 1895 this weekend and inherited a couple more.

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  mister 270 
#1 ·
Gun Revolver

Made a trip to my hometown LGS this weekend to pick up that 45-70 that's been waiting for me and while at the cafe one of my uncles says hey come by the house. So I stopped by after a trip to the range for a visit. While there he presents me with my grandfathers old ruger auto pistol from the 60's and a nylon 66 that he purchased for me back around 1981 and decided to give me a pocket knife instead as I had just gotten a 22 from my dad. A very touching moment. A few welcome additions to safe. I really need to focus on molds and sizers now. So don't anyone post anything for sale thats really catching OK?

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on your 45-70 and your suprise guns you received from your Uncle. My first gun/rifle was a Rem. Nylon 66 22 ,my Daddy gave it to me! I still have her today!

Gun Firearm Rifle Shotgun Trigger

#3 ·
You'd better buy a lottery ticket before your luck runs out! Those 22's will become favorites, I have an old Brazilian knockoff of the Nylon 66 (made on Remington's old machinery) and it's been known to put 5 shots in about a quarter-inch at 25 yards with Remington ammo.

The Ruger is sure to become another favorite, never seen one that wouldn't shoot.

And the 45-70? Well, you already know how much fun that's gonna be. Enjoy!

#5 ·
Dang PJ that 66 really shoots. I have indeed heard many stories about the 66's shooting well and the Rugers also have a good reputation for accuracy as well. After a good going over and cleaning for both they will get a little range time I'm sure. My son had actually been pestering me about this same model pistol and it really seems like divine intervention almost that it landed here. So that ones already been claim jumped. He likes that his great grandfathers name is engraved on one of the clips. The pistol was originally purchased at Lund and Croll sporting goods in Bemidji Minnesota in the late sixties.

#6 ·
My brother purchased a nylon 66 many years ago for use on his trap line in Alaska. He figured it would be a good choice for the tough conditions and not worry about banging up a walnut stock. What he failed to consider was the effect extreme cold weather has on plastic. He was working his trap line one cold morning and went to put the butt stock into a snow drift so he could do something with one of his traps and the plastic stock shattered into pieces. He managed to duct tape it together and still use it but the rifle stock was destroyed. He still has it and uses it to subdue large halibut when fishing on PWS.

#9 ·
Wow, nice surprise! Got my Nylon 66 in an armful of "project guns" that a LGS saved for me. Just needed cleaning, someone had oiled it till it was glued together.

#11 ·
Looks like ya had a heckuva weekend Sparky! I've been lookin for the right 66 for awhile now myself.:congrats:

Reactions: Sparky civil
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.