Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 1969 I went hunting with a friend and he loaned me a Marlin pump 12 gage shotgun that looked like an exacting copy of a Remington 870. It had a light weight reciever that appeared to be aluminum or alloy so was a lighter weight than an 870. It was a very well designed ergonomically and was very easy to hit dove on the wing with. What I do not know is the model number of this mystrey shotgun. Can anyone help with information?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I checked Brophy's book, Marlin Firearms, and I think the pump gun you describe is probably a Marlin Mark I that weighed about 6 lb. Starting in 1959 Marlin imported the pump action shotgun without barrels from the French Co. LaSalle (Manufrance). Marlin made and installed the barrels and sold the guns with the Marlin name. The Mark I in the picture does look like a Remington 870.

According to Brophy, Marlin started making the Model 120 pump gun that was designed to look like a Winchester Model 12 in 1971.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your responce. A mark I huh? That was some gun. He later told me everyone he loaned the gun to tried to buy it from him. It shot that good. I always kept my eye peeled for one but never happened to come across one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was the gun I remembered. Never shot it for anything but doves so don't know about the hard kicking with hot shells, but it makes sence. I was using Remington #8 low brass dove loads with the black plastic hull. It must have liked them because I didn't miss many that day. I have had the priviledge of owning some fairly high end shotguns since that time but none shot any better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.