Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s ridiculous how cheap these are! Less than $400 for a 6.5 Grendel complete upper? But just wondering about 300 Blackout or 458 Socom, maybe other options. If you have made the switch to a PSA upper, what did you get and how did it work out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have an 18" SST mid-length gas upper from PSA, you can't beat it for the price. Bought it for a DCR (designated coyote rifle). I wasn't happy with the out of the box accuracy so I had a local gunsmith true up the crown for me. I live in SC down the street from PSA and I know they take a lot of heat, some well deserved for customer service lapses but, they can produce a technically capable product at an affordable price.

As for caliber, the 3 you mention all have different purposes IMO. The 6.8 is a long ranger, the .458 is a short range brute, and the .300BO is a great 7.62x39 substitute, suppresses well with subsonic ammo, can reach out with supersonic ammo, and fits in standard 5.56 mags. My vote would be .300BO. If you go with a nitrided barrel, I recommend you get a Cold Hammer Forged for barrel life.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My PSA upper is in .556 and no complaints,I've got several friends who use them as well

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
If you are a handloader, the 300 Blackout is a good choice. Brass is generally available at the range for free. Just needs to be converted. Use almost any 30 cal bullet. Uses pistol sized powder charges. Very quiet with subsonics and a suppressor. Accuracy is excellent. I have Two 300 Blackout rifles.

If you dont handload, and want something different, Wolf makes 6.5 Grendel ammo at a good price. Check for reviews on it.

·
Super Moderator
23,662 Posts
I have a complete PSA in 300 BO--no complaints with accuracy or dependability. Its a very well made AR platform that will go out to the tree stand this year.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I have a PSA 6.5 Grendel and it's my favorite black gun. I load 120's for deer and 100's for coyote. Accurate and very light recoil.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Waiting for them to do a 350 Legend. That will be my next AR upper. As if I need another caliber to stock.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In Maryland, legal ARs have heavy barrels, not standard. So I am not sure of legal requirements for buying a 300 BLK upper. It’s screwy! AKs in 7.62 are banned, but I know a shop here that will build me a AK in 5.45 for about $1K. Not sure I want to spend that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
939 Posts
I used a PSA lower instead of an upper for both 300BO and 458 Socom builds.

Haven't hunted with the 300BO but will soon using 110 gr TTSX bullets. I plan on using the same bullet in a 30-06 load for antelope next year (hope I get drawn). If my 38-55 comes back from JES Reboring as good as the 444 he did for me, I will probably use it for the antelope instead of the 06.

As for the 458 Socom, I have taken both deer and hogs using a 325 gr penta point hammer boolit from a mold at MP Molds (actually bought it as part of a group buy on Cast Boolits). It smacks with authority. The recoil feels like a 20 ga mag load to me. IMHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts