Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just figured i'd throw this out there, maybe someone will be able to shed some light on this.

Brought a new lower to the range (the upper is fairly new too) put 70 rounds through it before I had some issues. I had a few failure to fires with one or two shots working in between before the trigger jammed up completely. I immediately noticed some shards of stone inside the lower under the trigger. I packed up and brought it home. Upon further inspection I found quite a bit more broken up stones that were under the trigger. All the pieces fit together to form a small triangle with rounded edges. This lower has the PSA's "Enhanced Polished Trigger" could this be a leftover from when they polished the trigger? This is a first for me!

Cheers

The first shards I found at the range..
Skin Finger Hand Joint Thumb

What came out later on...

Coin Currency Money Dime Metal

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
The only way that I could imagine someone not noticing debris that size while installing the trigger, would be if they were legally blind!!!!!

IMHO, the only way I could see it getting in the action like that would be at some point after the full assembly of the lower.

Reactions: mearl

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
Always thoroughly inspect parts before installing them. Even new parts.

Reactions: HowdyC

·
Banned
16,333 Posts
IMHO/judging by the shape of leftover rock, it is indeed the "media stone" for a vibratory debur/polisher. I used the vibratory media machines at Luwa-Bahnson in Charlotte for a spell.

They used the triangular shaped stone "media" of the same color as that one.

Something I learned from building engines. ALWAYS INSPECT NEW PARTS TOO.

Reactions: HowdyC and mearl

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
This looks like one of those inexplicable chaotic events. Lower is at armorers bench, trigger is getting tweaked before installation, armorer drops heavy tool and a small stone on bench flips up into the receiver unnoticed, then the armorer, trying to keep up with assembly quota installs trigger without noticing the stone. Or something like that. Just a crazy series of events that led to a one off bungle.

I'd remove the FCG and inspect it for damage. The stone could have chipped off some of the coating. It's not terribly difficult to pull and reinstall the trigger group. Just take a picture with your phone before you remove it so you know how it goes back in or go to YouTube and find an install video.

Reactions: MarlinManCB45/70
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.